Activision Blizzard Inc does it again.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
The link is broken (goes to "page not found" on the wallstreet journal's site). But I for one will NOT pay an extra fee to play COD: MW3 online. Fuck that.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Ugh, yes they're known as Activision Blizzard. They're still completely seperate companies though so comparing it to WoW is idiotic.

Plus, WoW gets more in one free patch than all the downloadable content combined for the CoD games. Monthly fee for an FPS game that people spend much less time on is an idiotic model and will bite them in the ass.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
At least it's optional... if they can find a way to keep the game from being hacked AT ALL, then it *might* work, but otherwise they can go shove a 5.56 cartridge in their ears for all I care.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
this idea wont fly, especially for xbox users who have to pay for xbox live and then cod?

also comparing it with WoW doesnt work, as you can download wow for free, you dont have to buy the main cd. i dont know if the expansion is free to download though,

not a chance you will get me to pay to play a game online, as i dont play enough to make it worth while. lan party ftw!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
bioskyline;1718649 said:
this idea wont fly, especially for xbox users who have to pay for xbox live and then cod?

also comparing it with WoW doesnt work, as you can download wow for free, you dont have to buy the main cd. i dont know if the expansion is free to download though,

not a chance you will get me to pay to play a game online, as i dont play enough to make it worth while. lan party ftw!

Still have to pay to buy wow + all expansions. But I get more play out of WoW per week than I get out of a CoD game (and that includes MP).

Also, no way in HELL paying for it will have any effect on hackers.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
Poodles;1718653 said:
Still have to pay to buy wow + all expansions. But I get more play out of WoW per week than I get out of a CoD game (and that includes MP).

Also, no way in HELL paying for it will have any effect on hackers.

oh ok. must only be the 14 day trail that free to download.

Like other publishers, Activision has earned money selling "Call of Duty" map packs and other digital content for one-time charges, but subscriptions to its new service could give it a continuing way to capitalize on the online popularity of the game.

this could also be what ends the online popularity of the game.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
bioskyline;1718663 said:
this could also be what ends the online popularity of the game.

Hit the nail on the head right there sir. I would NOT pay for online play. Like Poodles, I just don't get enough out of it to make it worth my money.

What do you bet they try to force this on COD4/MW2 players too, to close that loop hole?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The only pay-to-play FPS game I can think of is Planetside, and there is a HELL of a lot more playtime in that then CoD...

jackmk2mk3

being supra-less sucks
Jan 14, 2010
Fullerton, CA
This is gonna piss off a lot of people. Myself included. I can barely keep myself on Xbox live, let alone a 9 or so dollar charge on top of that for this "Elite" thing. At least it sounds like you will still be able to play regular online multiplayer without it.

Supra NA-T

Total Annihilation
Nov 7, 2010
Leesville,La
yes you will still be able to play for the standard version. You only get a 10 day trial for WoW then you have to buy it and all the expansions if you wish to proceed in leveling up to 85 as it sits right now. You get so much more out of WoW for the 15.00 a month charge. Glad I stopped playing WoW though, It got addicting and started taking over my life.