AC question

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
So my a/c has been working for the last 2 summers BUT it seems my lines and all stay hot, but at one point in time before getting a leak in the system the line by the lower rad support and by the turbo would be cold and produce condensation but no longer do

Also it seems like the compressor puts a decent strain on the motor, idle/idle up is fine but when I shift the rpms seem to drop pretty fast (possible lack of oil in the ac system?) I drive pretty easy when using the ac

only major parts replaced were the compressor and receiver/drier (denso compressor that came with oil already in it)

im not overheating in 90+ weather but im thinking these things are not normal however it does get to 40F from the vents

IIRC the mk3 requires 1.5lbs of r134 max (what do you do about pag oil if you have no idea whats in there other than what the new compressor came with) could be my problem

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Did you do a proper retrofit by changing out O-rings and all?

As far as A/C being a drain on the motor that doesn't sound normal. I can barely tell my A/C is on because there's little effect on the engine.

When recharging the system you should always pull a vacuum, which makes the old oil somewhat irrelevant AFAIK.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
BrandonW;2042300 said:
only major parts replaced were the compressor and receiver/drier (denso compressor that came with oil already in it)

That doesn't mean too much.

im not overheating in 90+ weather but im thinking these things are not normal however it does get to 40F from the vents

If you have a 40 degree discharge temp when it is 90 degrees, you do not have a fault with the A/C system.

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
I believe the retrofit was done correctly but I didn't do it myself and was supposedly done back in like 2006

vacuum was pulled as I have access to our machine at nissan

im questioning the amount of oil in the system as the only oil known in there is whatever amount came in the new compressor

Last edited:

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Its pretty noticeable when I turn my AC on, it slows the motor down quickly between shifts. I think you just aren't used to it because you haven't been using it.

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
maybe and I don't use it a whole lot just when its really hot out, I also haven't used it yet the warmest it has been is 60 so far but figured id start thinking about it before it got hot again

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Any AC compressor is big load on the engine, as much as 10hp, so yes it will be noticeable on engine performance especially at low rpms where the engine is not making much power. A long term oil problem will result in the compressor seizing.