AC Conversion R12 to 134a

i was just wondering if anyones ever heard of converting the AC to r12 to 134a?

only cause i keep recharging my ac and it never works after a day. it works when im recharging it but after that it doesnt. only have 2.5 cans left of r12 since they dont sell it anymore.. poop.

i tried searching through the forums but if there is a thread for this i cant quite pin it down with the search.

so if anyone knows if its possible.. hopefully you wouldnt mine telling me what needs to be done [general description] and how much it would probably cost.

anyways thanks SM

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
WTF...

First off save the r12. Second, try finding the leak first bro. Does it even hold a vacuum??

Just searching a little better. The infos out there.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
There's better solutions out there than r134a. But it ready avalible at any parts store and hell walmart too. The idea is to pull a deep vacuum then charge to the specified psi. For some reason I'm thinking 12oz so about 1 lbs. Now I could very well be wrong as it's 440 am and I can't sleep. But it's ballpark.

Another thing is converting oil over to the crappy but need PAG "uv" green oil. Also need to keep in mind proper oil level in critical to this to work right. We're talking a very very small emount.

Also need to well smart to replace the accumulator/dryer before charging.

And since r12 is lower pressure than r134a but a long shot, converting over to it will be pointless as the increase in pressure will finish off whatever leak started.

I've lost my point....if I even had one. Some of this might be off but I'm tired and need sleep hahaha. But that's the gist of it. My only true words of wisdom is don't pay someone *a shitty yay area shop* to do this. Either they will rig it to work *most cases* or charge you a left nut to do right.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Mk3runner;1397983 said:
Also need to well smart to replace the accumulator/dryer before charging.
It would be "well smart" WTF are you talking about unless his is leaking why??? I have been running 134 in my system all summer and works great, I just had to replace a couple leaking o-rings I found. IIRC (pic in my thread) temp is 45 degrees coming out. Did I say all of this is on a 20 year old system... All you have to do, is fill the system the correct way ;).

Mk3runner;1397983 said:
And since r12 is lower pressure than r134a but a long shot, converting over to it will be pointless as the increase in pressure will finish off whatever leak started.

IIRC it is the other way around but never the less, the system with r134 holds 600 grams (1.33 lbs)

Now to get rid of the 20 year old stink when the A/C is first turned on. That crap you buy for $12 in a can to spray in the intakes dosen't work. Next step is to remove the ducts and clean them with bleach along with the evaporator.

bmk3

MK3 owner goin 1JZ ftw
Feb 14, 2009
Garland,TX
the conversion is easy u just screw on the fitting form autozone ive converted mines this summer blows cubes on 75 but make sure u suck all the r12 out first, then run a vaccum test and leak test to see where ur leak is and is it fixible before u go off and buy something not needed