ABS Delete

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
Dylan JZ;1644968 said:
mine had ABS with the 7M, but it's never been active with the 1J.. the light always comes on right after starting the car (shrug), I wish it worked. It's likely a wiring problem I suppose, but I've also heard that some 1Js won't work with ABS for some reason or another, I can't remember what the actual argument was. Aaron from DM comes to mind in relation to that topic IIRC.

If you use the 1J 5SP and it doesn't have the rear speed sensor will make the light go on and the abs not to work. For some reason my 1jz & tranny came with the speed sensor. 1.5jz now but i have working ABS.... Althought i'm running into braking issues now =/

As stated before, relocate the battery if you really need the space. Less work to do as well.

Apr 6, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
Any damn decent lawyer will realize some degree of windfall if unfortunately you had an accident with one of their clients and they then discover that you removed a safety devise from the vehicle. Weight the risk, evaluate the importance to delete, then decide.....
Got much assets???

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
bigj;1644848 said:
i just wanted a lil extra space in the engine bay, im doing a 1j swap on my mk3 might need the space later. Plus the abs system isnt really that much different from having a conventional braking system, i talk from experiance when i say that

I'd say a little more ignorance than experience. The ABS system in our cars may not be the most advanced out but it's still very good, and miles ahead of ABS systems from Ford or Chevy in the 80's and 90's. You, as a human being, cannot out preform the ABS system on our cars. If you genuinely believe you can you need to step away from the Initial D DVD's and go take a performance or winter driving course. Many areas offer them, and it will help you realize just how much the ABS system actually does at the limit.

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
all i need is non-abs lines? perfect. before i get flamed and shit talked to. i want to do this since i'm swapping my 1jz out of my non-abs 87 mk3 into my new 89 abs shell. my harness does not have the connectors for the abs. so why have a the abs unit and lines if i can't use it and also clean up the bay. a catch can will go in it's place.

zoonwen

1JZ Supra
Apr 27, 2005
Denton, TX
87supraguy;1780493 said:
all i need is non-abs lines? perfect. before i get flamed and shit talked to. i want to do this since i'm swapping my 1jz out of my non-abs 87 mk3 into my new 89 abs shell. my harness does not have the connectors for the abs. so why have a the abs unit and lines if i can't use it and also clean up the bay. a catch can will go in it's place.

Yes, just the front 3 lines. I just replaced my lines and it was pretty easy to do. Toyota doesn't make the lines anymore so you will have to use your old ones or get it from a junk yard. Took me 30 mins to pull the lines from a car with the engine still in it.

funky_monkey58

Closing in on 200+MPH
Apr 3, 2006
St.cloud MN
I hate abs, especially in the winter. Nothing is more annoying than stepping on the brake peddle and the peddle pushing back at you in surges and your car going forward, I for one at least want to be sliding forward wheels locked if I run into someone.

zoonwen

1JZ Supra
Apr 27, 2005
Denton, TX
IBoughtASupra;1780502 said:
Or just go to any hose vendor and have them make you teflon lines. You will notice a difference in the brakes.

Teflon lines vs hard lines??? Maybe if you were replacing the rubber lines to the calipers. I doubt a 15 ft in teflon lines would be better than hard lines.

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
Turbo Habanero;1780495 said:
Why would abs not be preferred on a race track ?

i agree on a track abs would help but if the car is purpose built for drifting you don't want abs kicking in.

i just did the abs delete and i agree with zoonwen. super easy to do. it only took me 2 hrs to pull all the lines off and put them on. it now gives me a nice place to cut a 2.5in circular hole next to the gas pedal to pass the 1jz harness.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
87supraguy;1780528 said:
i agree on a track abs would help but if the car is purpose built for drifting you don't want abs kicking in.

i just did the abs delete and i agree with zoonwen. super easy to do. it only took me 2 hrs to pull all the lines off and put them on. it now gives me a nice place to cut a 2.5in circular hole next to the gas pedal to pass the 1jz harness.
well if i ever decide to do it I know where to go for some local help :)

Although mine is for more purpose in cleaning up the engine bay getting all the clutter out.

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
Turbo Habanero;1780534 said:
well if i ever decide to do it I know where to go for some local help :)

Although mine is for more purpose in cleaning up the engine bay getting all the clutter out.

yeah hit me up for anything bro. i'm always turning wrenches on the car, it is a supra after all.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
WI88Supra;1780529 said:
So in order to make this thread worth something, when swapping from auto to manual on an abs car, I just need the R154 sensor from driftmotion to make my ABS continue to work correct?
Yep. Or an R154 from a car with ABS.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
funky_monkey58;1780509 said:
I hate abs, especially in the winter. Nothing is more annoying than stepping on the brake peddle and the peddle pushing back at you in surges and your car going forward, I for one at least want to be sliding forward wheels locked if I run into someone.

Umm, the coefficient of friction of your tires is greater when they have traction versus sliding. Did you think car companies spent the extra money to DOWNGRADE the car? Go google How ABS Works.

Edit: Oops, just realized who I was responding to. LOL, but dude you gotta put a sarcasm smiley next time

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Pull the ABS fuse if you want to disable the ABS on the track and pop it back in when you're done. Hell, if you really wanted to, you could add a switch to do the same thing on the fly...

Though of course modern racecars run ABS because it allows the car to do things that would be impossible without it.

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
Poodles;1780999 said:
Pull the ABS fuse if you want to disable the ABS on the track and pop it back in when you're done. Hell, if you really wanted to, you could add a switch to do the same thing on the fly...

Though of course modern racecars run ABS because it allows the car to do things that would be impossible without it.

do they really? i always see everyone locking up brakes in F1, nascar and la mans?

+1 if i was racing this car on a track i would definetly find a way to make it work but since i want drifting and its not worth taking my harness apart to make it work.