ABS delete Q's!

Status
Not open for further replies.

j3r3my

Jul 19, 2010
mass
Ok guys in understand this is a well known topic/argument but my car isn't going to be a daily and YES I want a pretty engine bay!

My questions are do I NEED the non abs master? And what can I get a prop valve from? Does it have to be from a mkiii? Or can I use one from say a Honda or something? I'm not scared of brake lines and ill be using the fancy copper line

Any info is appreciated! Thanks

Zrain25

Sep 30, 2012
Pelham,New Hampshire
I remember the last abs delete thread and it wasn't pretty. For me I say do what u want its ur car. My abs light goes on as soon as I hit 3rd gear. I need two new sensors but I have money to spend other stuff first

I'm just warning you... Maybe this thread will be different but the last one wasn't

leezymk3

Sep 1, 2012
nashville
yes you need a none abs master, \
use the mk3 none abs prop valve
use the mk3 none abs front brake hard line
use the mk3 none abs rear brake hard line(the one from the prop valve only)
here a few picture i did to mine
when i remove it
p1925767_1.jpg

p1925767_2.jpg

here the none abs prop valve with all the hard line,,,,
p1925767_3.jpg

try looking for a none abs from a junk yard,cuz toyota dont make the hard line anymore

Apr 6, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
I'll pose this simple question, how much insurance do you have; how much assets do you own; how much money do you have stashed away; and, do you have an attorney on retainer?
When one goes about changing a vehicles safety provisions that it was originally delivered with, and that vehicle is then driven on the street, then just hope that you're not unfortunately involved in any accident that you're deemed "at fault". Chances are then even a fresh junior litigation attorney with some basic investigation will have a field day. Remember, you reside in the glorious USA.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
I will refrain from giving reasons why you should or shouldn't do this, and instead offer some other information. I don't know why you would want to disable a safety system like ABS, but after removing it, the car will be no less safe than a car that came from the factory without ABS, and I can say pretty definitively that no investigator will question why a car from the 80's didn't have ABS. Heck a lot of cars as new as the mid-2000's didn't have ABS. Nobody will notice or care.

The proportioning valve is the same with or without ABS, so it won't need to be replaced. While I know the master cylinder parts are different between ABS and non ABS models, I don't know of any good reason why one wouldn't work just as well for the other. (They share the same bore and piston depth). Brake pedal, brake booster and brake lines didn't change between them (unless it's a 91-92 car, these had reversed front/rear ports on the master cylinder and associated lines to the proportioning valve).

If you want to do this, the bare minimum you will need are the 3 hard lines from the proportioning valve to each front brake hose, and the one that connects to the line heading to the rear wheels.

Jeff

j3r3my

Jul 19, 2010
mass
First I appreciate everyone's concern,opinions and help..I know a few MKIV guys that hve done it and they've yet to complain. I did expect some rashing but c'mon guys they also came in NON abs to and I've have yet to see someone whose done the swap correctly complain to.

Thank you leezy and Jeff! I'm going to try out the abs master an see how she acts..all I've heard from people using the abs master in abs deletes is that it brakes stronger?

But thanks again for the opinions and help!

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
I'm not sure why your braking pressure would change, since they are both 25.4mm (1 inch) master cylinders, but perhaps there are some internal differences I am unaware of.

Jeff

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
j3r3my;1925757 said:
Ok guys in understand this is a well known topic/argument but my car isn't going to be a daily and YES I want a pretty engine bay!

By not a daily does that mean strictly track? or drive to church on sunday?

If it's strictly track then I don't think you can get insurance so no biggie...but if it will be streeted at all I invision insurance issues by disabling a safety feature... maybe check into it before tearing it out

j3r3my

Jul 19, 2010
mass
I'm not the least bit worried about insurance..my buddy just totaled his legitiment 10 sec STI..he had no interior a full blown cage and a huge Perrin FMIC and he got cut a full check and bought the cr back for only 3k! And it was an 07 hawk eye

j3r3my

Jul 19, 2010
mass
And it will be just a once in awhile car..I work ALOT this season should be 70 hour weeks so when I find time I would drive it

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
j3r3my;1926045 said:
I'm not the least bit worried about insurance..my buddy just totaled his legitiment 10 sec STI..he had no interior a full blown cage and a huge Perrin FMIC and he got cut a full check and bought the cr back for only 3k! And it was an 07 hawk eye

Adding a cage increases safety...not sure how this is the same thing as removing a safety feature...

I'm not saying you wont be able to get insured but like others have said if something happens you may be held more liable since you altered factory safety features...god forbid someone gets hurt or worse...it may be considered reckless since you blattenly reduced the overall safety of the vehicle.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
When I was getting insurance on my 87 with ABS, once I typed in the VIN it knew the safety features it had...ABS and factory anti-theft w/ alarm.

And I'm not saying he will have a hard time getting insurance...they will never know he took it off...they don't inspect. But if something happens (like an accident of something) and they need to inspect the car...could open a new can of worms

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
DeMoN2318;1926056 said:
Adding a cage increases safety...not sure how this is the same thing as removing a safety feature...

I'm not saying you wont be able to get insured but like others have said if something happens you may be held more liable since you altered factory safety features...god forbid someone gets hurt or worse...it may be considered reckless since you blattenly reduced the overall safety of the vehicle.

In that case these cars should not be modded in any way. We tend to make these cars faster and, when one does no one criticises them for not upgrading there brakes first. They usually get a thataboy! good job! whata rep the mkiii! Not a why in the hell did you make a 3600 pound car faster with out upgrading the brakes first.

Status
Not open for further replies.