ABS delete? 87 turbo.. Q's

K_SHAN

don't taze me bro!
Jul 3, 2009
eagle, IDAHO!
hey i was wondering about deleting my abs. i hate it and was wondering if there was a certain way to go about deleting it..

btw my car is an 87 turbo targa. going usdm 2jz-gte
thanks a bunch, K_shan..

i've looked all over the place but have not found anything any help is appreciated.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
With all due respect...unless this car is purpose built then removing abs is just dumb!

Anyway...you'll need to get a non abs porpotioning valve, and either remove all non abs brake lines from a parts car or custom make your own...will be ALOT of work only to downgrade your brakes.

Your call but no matter what the car is built for, it's stupid to even consider this idea.

K_SHAN

don't taze me bro!
Jul 3, 2009
eagle, IDAHO!
ok thanks guys.

yes it is a purpose built car btw.

not a dd

sounds like i wont be wasting my time deleting them

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
The reason why I think he wants to delete them is because the lines are in the way of the firewall where it needs to be bashed in if hes keeping the twins. I'm having the same problem so Im having to run the lines from a non abs system.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
your insurance will be less because you have ABS. My car came non-ABS from factory. It sucks in some situations (see SNOW)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
really? i would think the solenoids would just be stuck open and not work like having no abs and locking up the brakes. i really dont get that. usually when you bleed the brakes the car is off, so if the fuse is in or out it shouldn't matter.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
I was actually curious about that, does any special procedure have to be taken to bleed the brakes on this car? I know newer cars use the scan tool to cycle the ABS to get the air out.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
It's incredible how cheap they all are from Toyota, and you can get all of them except for the one heading to the rear IIRC... No biggie. Makes for a MUCH cleaner bay.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
What's safe? I've had way more close calls with ABS than without. My winter car doesn't have ABS, and that's not because it didn't come with it from the factory. I don't like ABS, never have, never will. Same with airbags. Personal preference is all. As long as you don't panic and lock up the tires.

Last edited:

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
hvyman;1501537 said:
really? i would think the solenoids would just be stuck open and not work like having no abs and locking up the brakes. i really dont get that. usually when you bleed the brakes the car is off, so if the fuse is in or out it shouldn't matter.

your supposed to bleed with the car in the on position. regardless that comment was just from personal experience. I pulled the abs fuse at a track due to a destroyed wheel speed sensor and we had air trapped in the solenoids and had issues getting it out. we had to crack lines at the abs unit to get the air out. the abs Solenoid is high up so forcing the air out gets difficult. also I flush brake system in my race car so its a little different then just a bleed. we go for a complete fluid change over

DigityD'87

Feb 27, 2008
Portsmouth, NH
supra90turbo;1502058 said:
What's safe? I've had way more close calls with ABS than without. My winter car doesn't have ABS, and that's not because it didn't come with it from the factory. I don't like ABS, never have, never will. Same with airbags. Personal preference is all. As long as you don't panic and lock up the tires.

+1 But not everyone has a calm reaction to Dangerous situations. aka bad drivers.

King of Cleveland

Greasy Hands
Apr 8, 2007
cleveland
low speed snow or gravel ABS stopping distances can be longer because it doesn't allow the tires to dig in. In every other situation it can save your ass, good driver or not. Stopping distances are shorter even for a professional driver with ABS, proven over and over again.

You think is was a mistake that EVERY F1 team was running ABS before it was outlawed in the early 90's? I think not. Are those guys bad drivers? Really?

I lurk here mostly, but stuff like this... Just be careful what you're talking about. If you're building a drag car, fine. But I don't want to see some kid to rip off his working ABS system for no reason and then get sideways into a tree on the brakes.