About to tackle a valve stem seal job and had a question about a tool.

7mLove

Addict
Nov 11, 2009
Barksdale AFB, Louisiana United States
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...roup_ID=675633&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Has anyone used one of these on the 7m to remove and install the keepers? Ive seen 2 videos of people using this on a vg30 (300zx motor) and a 3000gt motor and it looks like it could cut this job time in half, but before I buy it I want to know if anyone has used this and know if it works on our motors. Maybe I am missing something but do we have a different type of valve set that would not allow us to use this? Here is a youtube video to show how easy this is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABOm_Usrf4k

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I borrowed the tool from a friend I don't know what size but I think it's the GA317 that was the one I was looking at buying when I did my head gasket.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
No problem and good luck. It's good to make a cardboard box with sections for each valve I got a box and cut up pieces of another cardboard box and made 24 little sections to organize my valve parts and used a marker to mark for intake and exhaust, etc. helped a lot.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Let me know how the job goes for you. I need to do this on mine as well, but I am worried about loosing some little piece down into the head, or basically just making some stupid mistake. I've never gone that far into an engine before and would hate to mess something up.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
It's really not a difficult job and it's kind of hard to lose those pieces unless you aren't careful. Just stay organized and if there is a gap where the piece can fall through even if it's remotely possible for it to reach cover it up with a shop towel or something. Also watch some of Numba1stunna's youtube videos they really helped me out especially with installing new stem seals he showed me to use a deep well socket but be careful with this method because if you do it wrong you can tear the rubber boot on the seal. I would order extra seals anyway just in case.