About a VIN number...

myastzo

Hobo restorer
Jun 6, 2011
Moscow
Hi guys! I've been building my supra from a piece of sh...t for about 3 years. 2 swaps, maaaany problems, depression and so on. Now, finally, I've reached my goal and done this right. The car now in pretty normal condition, everything works, looks fantastic, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. But never drove it on the real road.(Here, in GODDAMN Russia, we need an insurance and a paper, that insures(Sorry for my English :) ), that your car is in right condition and won't kill everyone aroud with an detached wheel, while riding 100 km/h.) So, now I'm saving money for this stuf, but asked myself a question. Does this car have a normal story, especially VIN number...

My VIN is JT1LBMA7000057141

But...

The 8th or 9th symbol shoud give me a clue about the car's production year, which, seems to be 1993, but the VIN just says "0".

I'm so confused. Scared, that when I'll ride to cops to get myself a license plate they will say "Sorry, bro, this car has bad VIN" and all my work of these years will be F....D.

Will be pleased with any opinion.

Best regards,
Alex

Maybe I'm too paranoidal about this though...

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
That's not a valid Toyota VIN... Most of the numbers are there, but some of the values appear to be in the wrong positions and/or there's invalid data in some positions.

Go re-check the VIN and make sure you've got the right one. It's NOT the big plaque on the back of the engine compartment. You need the one from the door or at the base of the dashboard cover at the bottom of the windshield.

myastzo

Hobo restorer
Jun 6, 2011
Moscow
There's no VIN on dash. I'll check it on the door.(IF it is there)

I'm scared. This could be the grand finale...

Thanks for the answers! I'll be in touch)

myastzo

Hobo restorer
Jun 6, 2011
Moscow
The car is not in Moscow, so I can't look for it now.(Always loved your townhouses with garage :) Here, it is a great problem with vehicle storing.) But I've serched for some info. There are differences in Toyota VIN numbers, between US export cars and Europe export. Mine is EU...

Amtrack

Apr 5, 2006
Germany
The first part of your VIN is correct.

All my Supras start with JT1LBMA7000XXXXXX (the x are for the chassis numbers).

In the Toyota EPC you can get the "basics" of your car (for example if it was originally delivered as automatic or with manual transmission and so on).

I just tried www.toyodiy.com and it worked fine with your VIN.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
While this is good news, one would expect this to be something you would have checked before you started this project 3 years ago...
-AM3

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
myastzo;1827001 said:
There are differences in Toyota VIN numbers, between US export cars and Europe export. Mine is EU...

Amtrack;1827004 said:
The first part of your VIN is correct.

All my Supras start with JT1LBMA7000XXXXXX (the x are for the chassis numbers).

See you do learn something new every day. I didn't know there were two version of the VIN - I stand corrected.

myastzo

Hobo restorer
Jun 6, 2011
Moscow
Althought the VIN is correct, the car year was changed in docs. The documents says it's 1993, but the VIN check says it was producted 86-88...

AnotherMKIII, yeah, it was kind of stupid not to check all this stuff before buying a car...:icon_bigg

Supracentral, can't tell you for sure... You know internet's not the most reliable source of information sometimes)

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
myastzo;1827131 said:
Althought the VIN is correct, the car year was changed in docs. The documents says it's 1993, but the VIN check says it was producted 86-88...

AnotherMKIII, yeah, it was kind of stupid not to check all this stuff before buying a car...:icon_bigg

Supracentral, can't tell you for sure... You know internet's not the most reliable source of information sometimes)
Lol, at least this wasn't a hard learned lesson, glad it worked out :D
-AM3