A Look inside the Stock Muffler

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Perhaps your muffler bearings fell out of place Radar?

Sorry... couldn't resist, and yes, I'm fully aware that joke is older than the hills. :p Honestly have no idea what it could be. Piece of splintered off catalytic converter, perhaps.

Old Radar

Oct 20, 2014
San Antonio
Well, the culprit certainly sounds heavy enough to be a muffler bearing, but I checked mine when I installed the catback and they're both still in place and look like they have at least another 50-75,000 miles left in them.:biglaugh:

It'd be nice to know what's clunking around in there but I don't want to cut open the resonator--so if anyone has a clue, please let me know.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Could just be one of the internal baffles or pipes just rusted free.
If you have a inspection camera you could shove it in there and figure it out. :D

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If you cut all of the inside stuff out you could just weld in a 3” tube to a y and then to 2 bigger tips.

Super restrictive stock. That’s crazy

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Yeah I thought about it but it's really not worth the effort. There are nice aftermarket 3" dual outlet mufflers that are very close in appearance to stock. I went that route.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Radar, perhaps now would be a good time to replace what's left of the stock exhaust system. A quality down pipe will really wake up the throttle response. Not sure it would solve your thunking issue though. Is the exhaust able to move much, if you grab various points and wiggle it? If so, your exhaust hangars might be a bit worn.

Old Radar

Oct 20, 2014
San Antonio
Radar, perhaps now would be a good time to replace what's left of the stock exhaust system. A quality down pipe will really wake up the throttle response. Not sure it would solve your thunking issue though. Is the exhaust able to move much, if you grab various points and wiggle it? If so, your exhaust hangars might be a bit worn.

Well, the clunking sound emanates from the resonator on the OEM exhaust I replaced, so it’s more of a curiosity point than anything else.

As for the downpipe, I’m thinking about it. I don’t want to shanghai the thread, and will be happy to start a separate thread if appropriate, but in brief, here are my two exhaust concerns.

1. Where do I stop? If I get a shiny new downpipe, should I connect it to a 29 year old turbo? If I replace the turbo, what about headers? If I go that far, why not go for a 2JZ??? I’m being a little factitious here—my 7M-GTE is safe, but what about that turbo? I don’t really have any aspirations for big horsepower and as far as I know, the turbo is just fine, but just like when I ditched TEMS for coilovers and I decided to replace the worn tie rods because the wheels were off, it was the perfect time to change the steering rack because it was also exposed. Is it worthwhile replacing the turbo since I’m right there? And if so, replace it with what?

2. The second part was too involved so I did start a thread: http://www.supramania.com/forums/threads/247463-Tanabe-Catback-Fitment-Issue

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Easiest fix for the cascading upgrades syndrome is vehicle replacement :D

Old Radar

Oct 20, 2014
San Antonio
Easiest fix for the cascading upgrades syndrome is vehicle replacement :D

Theoretically, cascading upgrade syndrome, taken to the extreme, will ultimately result in a "new" vehicle. Take the B-52 for example--active H-models are all 55-57 years old. But over those years, almost every system, component, and mechanism has been upgraded or completely refurbished. So is it a 55+ year old vehicle or is it "new"?

BatBuff.jpg

I don't think I suffer from CUS. I just was wondering if it would be advisable to take advantage of the situation to upgrade the turbo if I decide to upgrade the downpipe.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Removing the turbo requires the downpipe to be removed, plus the oil and water lines, heat shields, and stays, plus the manifold interface. So its a small savings in time to do both, but not huge. No need to replace the manifold unless you are going for some monster turbo with a different flange setup. If the stock turbo is quiet and not burning oil, and your not trying to increase power greatly, then no need to touch it in my opinion.

If you have the stock setup on there, it is likely the bolts are totally frozen and you will be having to do some cutting, breaker bar-ing, and swearing in the small area you have to work with. That's a good reason to just focus on the downpipe initially. Once you get some fresh hardware on the exhaust, swapping out the turbo later will go much more smoothly.

Old Radar

Oct 20, 2014
San Antonio
Removing the turbo requires the downpipe to be removed, plus the oil and water lines, heat shields, and stays, plus the manifold interface. So its a small savings in time to do both, but not huge. No need to replace the manifold unless you are going for some monster turbo with a different flange setup. If the stock turbo is quiet and not burning oil, and your not trying to increase power greatly, then no need to touch it in my opinion.

If you have the stock setup on there, it is likely the bolts are totally frozen and you will be having to do some cutting, breaker bar-ing, and swearing in the small area you have to work with. That's a good reason to just focus on the downpipe initially. Once you get some fresh hardware on the exhaust, swapping out the turbo later will go much more smoothly.

Thanks Pi. The voice of reason--and just the cure for a touch of the syndrome!

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I had forgotten how much of a pain in the butt dealing with the CT26 was, as far as hardware goes... Penetrating oil will be your very best friend if you decide to start changing out components!

As for the "cascading upgrading syndrome" that was mentioned, my car became a regular Ship of Theseus: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

Piratetip is right though, if you're chasing after performance, a different vehicle is likely cheaper, and definitely easier. For my aspirations of road racing and autocross, I should have bought a C6 Z06. Instead, I built one out of a Mk3 Supra, and I'm still sorting out little issues here and there. Sure, my Supra is fast, but the Vette would have been just as fast, if not faster, right out of the box, without changing a thing.

Old Radar

Oct 20, 2014
San Antonio
te72, you are dead-on about the penetrating oil. PB Blaster has been a staple in my garage for years. --And who knew the concept I was talking about had a name? Ship of Theseus--thanks for the new wrinkle in my brain!

I'm definitely not chasing performance--at least not in a serious way. In my very first post, in the introductions section a few years ago, I went on about how I had never modified my car and had only started due to the lack of available OEM parts like TEMS-compatible shocks. Well, you folks have apparently been a bad influence on me because now I only agonize a few weeks about a minor mod--like catbacks and high flow cats, and now an Apexi air intake--and how I never liked the look of those cones but the damn OEM air box makes it such a PITA to change your air filter that I'm finally going to make the switch, but will now have to fabricate some sort of a shroud around it to maintain it as a cold-air intake and hope it doesn't look like some eighth grade D+ shop project. Okay, starting to rant. Sorry.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
te72, you are dead-on about the penetrating oil. PB Blaster has been a staple in my garage for years. --And who knew the concept I was talking about had a name? Ship of Theseus--thanks for the new wrinkle in my brain!

I'm definitely not chasing performance--at least not in a serious way. In my very first post, in the introductions section a few years ago, I went on about how I had never modified my car and had only started due to the lack of available OEM parts like TEMS-compatible shocks. Well, you folks have apparently been a bad influence on me because now I only agonize a few weeks about a minor mod--like catbacks and high flow cats, and now an Apexi air intake--and how I never liked the look of those cones but the damn OEM air box makes it such a PITA to change your air filter that I'm finally going to make the switch, but will now have to fabricate some sort of a shroud around it to maintain it as a cold-air intake and hope it doesn't look like some eighth grade D+ shop project. Okay, starting to rant. Sorry.

This is how it starts, first a few mods here and there. By the end of the year you'll be telling us how you plan to fit a 60-1 trim on the car.

Old Radar

Oct 20, 2014
San Antonio

This is how it starts, first a few mods here and there. By the end of the year you'll be telling us how you plan to fit a 60-1 trim on the car.

Damn you Supramania! Damn you all to Hell!

View attachment 80297

Well, this didn't work as intended. In the preview, that "Attachment" is Krieger pounding the floor!

I hate it when I have to explain my jokes.:3d_frown::3d_frown: