a/c vs. take the top off

mercuryfreak200

?Which parents?
this is kind of somthing im wondering if i keep the a/c then i have to find a new pump mine is froze up but then taking the top off makes the car look even better in my mind so what would you do i thinking a/c because i live in the mid-west and it gets so hummid and hot you stick to cloth seats so idk what do you think

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
used ac pumps are always in our forsale section on this forum....they sell pretty cheap and they rarely go bad! keep your ac system bro...youll regret it in a traffic jam if you dont!

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
mercuryfreak200;1502247 said:
this is kind of somthing im wondering if i keep the a/c then i have to find a new pump mine is froze up but then taking the top off makes the car look even better in my mind so what would you do i thinking a/c because i live in the mid-west and it gets so hummid and hot you stick to cloth seats so idk what do you think
I have a compressor sitting in my attic, but unfortunately, I'm 330 miles away at school, so driving home to ship it will actually cost more money than I would get for it. I'll be home in like 5-6 weeks, so if you're interested, let me know.
-AM3

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
hvyman;1502307 said:
a/c. when its hot and the sun is right on you it does not keep you cool with top off.

QFT

Taking the top off here during the summer is DEATH, you're better off with the protection from the sun.

A/C is definately FTW.

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
gaboonviper85;1502277 said:
keep your ac system bro...youll regret it in a traffic jam if you dont!

+1
I've been there with the sun beating down on you and no way to escape. It sucks really bad.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
OneJArpus;1502555 said:
it sucks but i can tolerate it :). Never really had a car with ac working

my a/c never worked. it had ~240K miles on it when I yanked it out. (A/C stopped working, I'm guessing, because of a hole in my line that let all of the R12 out)

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I'm with 90turbo and Moy. After my r134a leaked out, I pulled my system out for a proper re-seal and retrofit, but most of the fittings stripped coming apart. I checked out the cost to repair it all and it was was crazy expensive so I said screw it.
Like viper said, those compressors are everywhere in the FS section, even in my thread ;) lol

But to really, truly fix an AC system when a compressor grenades, you should at least replace the receiver/drier, and flush out the lines and condensor (there is special AC system flush/solvent, don't use brake clean). Metal bits will take out a new compressor and can cause havok in an otherwise good system. You'll need lots of new o-rings too. Then bring it to a good local shop for vacuuming and re-charging.