A/C stopped working Help!!

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Hey guys, when I got my car running I refilled my AC system. The one thing that I noticed was that there was a loud squeal at first when I turned the system on. I sprayed some belt lube and loosened the belt a little and it went almost all the way. It's been working for the past couple of weeks, then all of a sudden it stopped yesterday (Sunday) it worked Saturday.

When I press the A/C button it lights up but the A/C doesn't kick on. I couldn't find any fuses for the A/C system to check. I looked at the compressor and it looks ok everything is in tack.

I live in TX and it's F'ing hot.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
you need to check freon level... Is the compressor turning ? if not you can hot wire it and as long as it does not make some funky noise.. and starts blowing cold.. then you prob have a small leak... that is what it sounds like.. work for 2 weeks then stop.. sounds like a very small leak around a o-ring... look for oil or wet spots at the conections... did you put any oil in it when you recharged it ? if not i recomed atleast put a can of oil charge in it..

DRIFTER WANNABE

DO WORK
Aug 15, 2008
southern oregon
Check for leaks fill it back up and listen for a small hiss...........

Or you can get the dyed freon that comes with a special light you charge the system and shine the light at all the connections and look for the colored dye

I just fixed my ac on my suby and the compressor wouldnt spin tell i had it charged....

If you need any ac parts I have two complete systems so i can hook ya up

Goodluck DW

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
OK, Saturday night the AC was working just fine, cold and blowing normal. The clutch is not clicking over, because when it does I see a 2in vac drop when it kicks on. It is not kicking on. The engine bay is really clean, I jacked the car up and checked all the connections and they are all clean.

I'm wondering if it is something in the wiring that is not letting it engage the clutch?

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
apply power to the little wire on the top of the ac clutch. (dont do it for long until you know there is freon in there) There are a handful of things upstream of that point that will prevent the clutch from engaging though...

also if the clutch is wearing out you can get smaller shims for it. Theres a spec on the clearance as well. Mine rattled like hell with the ac off until i reshimmed it!

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Thanks Dean, I may have to do that. I know that I have freon in the system because I just used it and filled it. The Clutch is not engaging for some reason, it looks fine, I'm thinking that it is electrical.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
his system is still r12 and has freon per the site glass. You got lucky today man ;), temps dropped pretty nicely allowing for some 260 ac!

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Ok found out a couple of things.

If I disconnect the AC plug and run a wire directly to the battery the AC clutch kicks on. When I go look at my boost gauge it goes from 20.5 in to 19.7in instead of dropping down to 18.5 like before. Also find that my turbo oil hose was rubbing on the AC hard line on the fire wall and has created a small hole where you can hear hissing and feel air coming out.

Could this be the cause of my problem? with there being no cold air or freon in the system, the system see's that and will not turn on the clutch for the AC? I checked the fuse for AC system and it is fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

reydio

Supramania Contributor
Oct 3, 2008
Pearl City
frontierguy25;1386369 said:
But will that make it not send a signal to the AC compressor to turn the clutch on? Or is that different?

Yes, there is a pressure switch on the AC line that activates the compressor. If it's low on pressure, clutch will not engage.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
sweet thank you!! I'm going to see what I can figure out to close up that tiny whole and get some more freon. Now it's time to put on the boost controller once that's fixed.

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
frontierguy25;1386385 said:
sweet thank you!! I'm going to see what I can figure out to close up that tiny whole and get some more freon. Now it's time to put on the boost controller once that's fixed.

replace line... or if you feel lucky get some aluminum welding rod and propain torch... i have repaired made alot of aluminum lines in a a/c shop its not hard to do with the right tools.. but in your case .. id say you are better off trying to find a used line and just replace it...

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
It's so small, but I'll have another car in 2 weeks that I will be parting out so I can take the part off of that one. I thinkI should be able to do a quick fix. It's just so hot here and starting a new job where I have to drive so I need some AC for a little while.

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
frontierguy25;1386411 said:
It's so small, but I'll have another car in 2 weeks that I will be parting out so I can take the part off of that one. I thinkI should be able to do a quick fix. It's just so hot here and starting a new job where I have to drive so I need some AC for a little while.

aint a qucik fix.. its under to much pressure.. it has to be welded.. and it has to be off the car or atleast both ends of the line unhooked... to get the pressure off it 100% and no .. jb weld wont work..well it might..but dont think it will lol