A/C Help

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
I need to get my air condition working in my car ASAP

I have a 90 and it has the r134 retrofit. When I bought the car it was only cold after a recharge, i got tired of charging it so when I pulled my motor out a while ago I think I took some of the stuff out. I know the compressor is still there but the belt is not hooked up, the rest I am not sure about

I am pretty clueless about A/C so I may have everything there just need to throw a belt on and do a recharge and look for leaks.

I tried searching but didn't really find anything to helpful, anyone point me in the right direction of what I need to have in order to get some cold air

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Use the online tsrm to find all the components of the system. There really aren't a ton of seals in the system, so you can go to your local auto parts store and buy an AC o-ring kit, they are usually green o rings, and just go through all the fittings and replace all the o rings. It wouldn't be a bad idea to take the evaporator out and change all the seals in there also. One of the most common leak points in the ac system are the valve cores in the high and low side ports. Replace these and make sure you have good caps to cover the ports, the plastic caps are the primary seal, NOT the valve core. Since the system has been open, you really do want to have the system flushed, and i recommend you have a professional refill the system. It is not all that expensive and they can do it right the first time.

You will need to replace the reciever/dryer, and you should ask the ac tech to put a dye in so if the leak is still there, you can pinpoint it.

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
I have dual electric fans and when I installed them I removed the 2 small ac fans am i going to need them or am i alright without them

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
SC61 MK3;1080929 said:
I have dual electric fans and when I installed them I removed the 2 small ac fans am i going to need them or am i alright without them

For clarification

the fan on the front of the 89-92 Supras turn on at

1. 220+ psi
2. 203+ degrees engine temp

those two fans do not come on until

1. Overly High pressure in the A/C system (220+ psi)
2. 212+ degree Engine temp.

if any of these is not true. The fans will not turn on.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Another common thing on A/C is a leak in the condensor. We have an intercooler, so that will help, but stones don't need to be going fast when you are hauling down the highway to cause a leak.

The ASE or 609 certitified tech shoulnd't have a problem finding the leak. Worse case scenario is as stated. He will put dye in the oil, and tell you to come back.