(¯`·._. RolluS - Supra MKIII Turbo Targa A/T - Build thread + Questions ._.·´¯)

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Hello all,

I'm pleased to show you my car and her rebuild ;)
Let me show you my Supra MKIII, she's a MA70 with a 7mgte engine (almost stock, just HKS airfilter). She's from december 92, it's a deutsch mark 3, with Targa and A/T, she has ABS and headlight washing system.

Summary

This post: Summary and Introduction
Post 2: Toyota 7M-GTE Engine
Post 3: Toyota A340 Transmission
Post 4: Chassis
Post 5: Electronics
Post 6: Body
Post 7: Interior (under construction)
Post 8: Questions

Introduction

I'm RolluS, 31 years old, living near Paris, France.
I used to own a Celica ST162 (looks like a CorollaAE86 or a SupraMKII with a little engine). In my dreams, I was driving a Supra MKIII!
Last summer this dream came true :D

Best pics Gallery

2010-07-18%2011.56.36.jpg09fe4b665133d911319a9b4002b4a6ca.jpg23733_10151196827486576_1413256119_n.jpg23384_10151195411686576_1528318055_n.jpg

Have nice rides,

RolluS

Last edited:

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France

Toyota 7M-GTE Engine:

May 2010, 0K kilometers (new reference) Engine rebuild:
  • Full rebuild kit: All internal except shafts, that's everything that is not cast (bearing, springs, oil pump, water pump etc...). The stuff came from a rebuild kit from a part shop (not ebay) in uk for say, 5-600$, as OEM replacement aftermarket part.
  • HKS air intake
  • Silicon hoses (air and water systems)
  • EGR removed
  • Canister removed

December 2012, 12K kilometers: Upgrading MHG (WIP):
  • Machining Head and block
  • Replacing Bearing next to water in oil from previous BHG (please see question 1 below)
  • Smoothing (don't know the english word) cylinders, (please see question 2 below)
  • Grinding camshaft (please see question 3 below)
  • Installing Metal Head Gasket (Please see question 4 below) and using ARP studs
Pics:
408704_550651468278525_62655779_n.jpg530614_550833698260302_578808886_n.jpg580714_552095241467481_1946084991_n.jpg23384_10151195411686576_1528318055_n.jpg23733_10151196827486576_1413256119_n.jpg

Planed Mod:
  • Exhaust
  • Injectors and FPR
  • Full flow oil system (engine and transmission)

Power goal:

• Is as far as stock internals, turbo, the above mods, and E85 allow me (300 HP?).

Last edited:

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France

Toyota A340 Transmission:

Comming soon mod:
  • A340 A/T Valve body mod (shift kit and tuned oil pressure) with Transgo shift kit.

Planned mod:
  • A340 A/T rebuild with Precision overhaul kit, and Rabeystos friction and steel modules.

Last edited:

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France

Chassis

Summer 2011:
  • Installed Energy Suspension poly bushing full front set

​Coming soon:
  • Install Energy Suspension poly bushing full rear set

Last edited:

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France

Electronics

February 2013, Event recorder
I've bought a mapecu for tune and data logging, but finally it doesn't full fill my needs for data logging, so I'm building my own event recorder, with the following
Signal list:
- 6 CHT
- 6 EGT
- 3 IAT + 1 fast IAT
- all stock signal (MAF, CPS, TPS, Knock, Timing, Injector duty, Boost, RPM, water temp, oil pressure, narrow band AFR, fuel correction, engine/transmission fault codes, etc)
- Wideband AFR (later)
- and counting...

Hardware spec (Arduino DUE and Mux Shield):
- Atmel SAM3X8E ARM Cortex-M3 84 MHz 32-bit CPU
- Enough ram and rom
- 16 multiplexed thermocouples inputs
- 16 + 16 multiplexed analog inputs for resistive or sensors
- 48 high speed I/O of which 12 can be used as PWM outputs
- 12 analog inputs, 4 UARTs (hardware serial ports),
- 1 USB OTG port
- 2 DAC (digital to analog)
- 2 I2C/TWI
- 1 SPI communication port
- 1 CAN BUS communication port
- 1 sdcard slot, with optimized buffers for data logging
- add on (wifi, bluetooth, speech synthesis, G sensors, etc) available.

Hardware (including sensors, excluding sdcard) costs me 250$ and software is on the way.
Output will be excel files.
As soon as data logging works fine, I plan doing it a hybrid piggyback. With hybrid I mean it will not be as many piggyback that hack the MAF signal for tuning fuel, but that break timing maps. Instead it will shorten or lengthen or for signal, and retarding or advancing timing.
I don't wan't to go standalone with this hardware because I'd like to keep the safety feature of TCCS.
I think the hardware is capable for datalogging, because specs are better than Megasquirt III. Don't know yet if it could handle datalogging + "piggybacking"

Coming soon mods:
  • Mapecu 3 (will convert to speed density and control turbo pressure, fueling, and timing). Maybe, because of the on going project above.
  • Walbro 255l/h pump
  • Innovate LC1 wideband
Pics
2013-01-11 10.52.55.jpg

Planed Mod:
  • Injectors and FPR

Last edited:

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France

Questions:

Engine:
  1. Bearings: [strike]What bearing should I buy? OEM? Anything else better than OEM?[/strike] Answeared: OEM for my goal.
  2. Piston ring: they are in good shape (chrome is in mint condition, no marks or wears). Should I replace them?
  3. Cam shafts: I'd like more mid end (2.5k ~ 4.5 k) torque. My camshaft will be grinded, should I keep stock profile or change it? I can't afford an aftermarket replacement.
  4. Metal Head Gasket: Initialy thinking about Cometic MLS and see this shop: www.vividracing.co.uk/engine_upgrades-Toyota-Supra-1992_H3ii8.php. So what brand to choose: HKS? Greddy? Cometic? I'm on a little budget, but I plan about 150-200€ (200-270USD) for the MHG.

Last edited:
I like the way you set up ur build thread. Might have to steal the setup lol jk. But Answer to number 4, I see alot of people using either HKS or the Cometic. Can't really go wrong with either one. I'm not sure about the Greddy just because I don't know alot of people that used it. But I'm pretty sure Greddy will work well also.

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Hey thanks for your answer ;)

Took me 1 hour to set up this thread, and it's still under construction (pictures coming).

For Q4: Headgasket, yes I see lot of HKS Stopper or Cometic MLS. Bead HKS and the other ar not as seen, there should be a reason, but I'm just asking, because, I'm a little on budjet on this point, but I don't want to go cheap, as changing the HG in a shop is 3K€ (~4K$) when machining head+block.

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Hey guys ;)

Please, any advices on the pending questions?

Rollus;1907154 said:
Engine:
  1. Bearings: [strike]What bearing should I buy? OEM? Anything else better than OEM?[/strike] Answeared: OEM for my goal.
  2. Piston ring: they are in good shape (chrome is in mint condition, no marks or wears). Should I replace them?
  3. Cam shafts: I'd like more mid end (2.5k ~ 4.5 k) torque. My camshaft will be grinded, should I keep stock profile or change it? I can't afford an aftermarket replacement.
  4. Metal Head Gasket: Initialy thinking about Cometic MLS and see this shop: www.vividracing.co.uk/engine_upgrades-Toyota-Supra-1992_H3ii8.php. So what brand to choose: HKS? Greddy? Cometic? I'm on a little budget, but I plan about 150-200€ (200-270USD) for the MHG.

HMNGSupraMKIII answeared to the fourth and it's not a big deal to choose, but for the others?

Thanks,

RolluS ;)

chesky911

Sep 2, 2009
avila
Rollus;1907340 said:
Hey guys ;)

Please, any advices on the pending questions?

HMNGSupraMKIII answeared to the fourth and it's not a big deal to choose, but for the others?

Thanks,

RolluS ;)

Hi,in Spain most people use Cometic.You see this web http://www.jrparts.es and you send email to Javi. Shipment to Paris is cheap.
Good Luck!

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Hey thanks.

I'm aware of Web shop in Europe but for engine internal parts (rod bearings, piston rings, etc) I don't find to much sites.. Got some for upgrade parts in UK, I will update first page with some links..
If you have some favourite, please share that will make my day :)

chesky911

Sep 2, 2009
avila
Hi Rollus, jrParts has internals´supra:clevite bearings (i think that are good for you),cometic,arp,pistons,rods...
the shipment to paris from Spain is cheap
I bought my coil overs for supra here and no problem :)

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Hi,

Thanks chesky,

I will definitely mail Javi, hope he speak English ;)
(A friend of me speak and write Spannish quite well indeed)

Regards'

RolluS

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Update:

February 2013, Event recorder
I've bought a mapecu for tune and data logging, but finally it doesn't full fill my needs for data logging, so I'm building my own event recorder, with the following
Signal list:
- 6 CHT
- 6 EGT
- 3 IAT + 1 fast IAT
- all stock signal (MAF, CPS, TPS, Knock, Timing, Injector duty, Boost, RPM, water temp, oil pressure, narrow band AFR, fuel correction, engine/transmission fault codes, etc)
- Wideband AFR (later)
- and counting...

Hardware spec (Arduino DUE and Mux Shield):
- Atmel SAM3X8E ARM Cortex-M3 84 MHz 32-bit CPU
- Enough ram and rom
- 16 multiplexed thermocouples inputs
- 16 + 16 multiplexed analog inputs for resistive or sensors
- 48 high speed I/O of which 12 can be used as PWM outputs
- 12 analog inputs, 4 UARTs (hardware serial ports),
- 1 USB OTG port
- 2 DAC (digital to analog)
- 2 I2C/TWI
- 1 SPI communication port
- 1 CAN BUS communication port
- 1 sdcard slot, with optimized buffers for data logging
- add on (wifi, bluetooth, speech synthesis, G sensors, etc) available.

Hardware (including sensors, excluding sdcard) costs me 250$ and software is on the way.
Output will be excel files.
As soon as data logging works fine, I plan doing it a hybrid piggyback. With hybrid I mean it will not be as many piggyback that hack the MAF signal for tuning fuel, but that break timing maps. Instead it will shorten or lengthen or for signal, and retarding or advancing timing.
I don't wan't to go standalone with this hardware because I'd like to keep the safety feature of TCCS.
I think the hardware is capable for datalogging, because specs are better than Megasquirt III. Don't know yet if it could handle datalogging + "piggybacking"