90 Turbo

estrellainc

Supra Agent
Dec 26, 2005
mississippi
Well...
I got a call this morning. It was time to go to Baton Rouge and pick up a motor.
It had been raining all morning. (why is sleep better when it rains?)
anyways, I dragged myself outta bed to start a MISSION.

I headed to my wife's job and asked (more like ached) to borrow the van. Not such a big deal till she... well- puttin anything on the rug was only comparable to layin 500pds of 7MGTE in the middle of the living room, on the new rug. (knowwattamean?)

After losin on LETS MAKE A DEAL, i headed out.
I got lucky and drafted an 18wheeler- BAM made it there in about an hour or so.

Helped Big Jon & Little Jon :aigo: extract the motor from his friends 87.

It was a 7m originally from an 89t supe.

He told me he used ARPS to hold the head, rods, & mains.
Clevites for bearings.
Shotpeened the rods, stock pistons, stock bore.
2mm Cometic MHG, EGR bypass.

Just broken in, only 3k miles on it.

I unloaded it from the van (by myself) using two 3/4 plywood boards to make a ramp. (WHEW!)

now it waits for a final check.
any quick tips on this motor before i drop it in?
I thought -plastigauge. dunno.

Last edited:

estrellainc

Supra Agent
Dec 26, 2005
mississippi
Justin727 said:
just hug the motor and give it kisses. it will love you forever if you show it affection

I hugged the motor and got grime all over my shirt!

I kissed it several times, but it was cold and un-affectionate.
i didnt dare try the turbo.

j/k -ROFLOL

Last edited:

estrellainc

Supra Agent
Dec 26, 2005
mississippi
Well i unbuttoned the pan from the motor only to find....

metal shavings and metal scrap pieces (OMG!)

after cleaning the pan, i noticed there was a spot where the rotating assembly was in contact with the pan. (some hope!)

when i turned the crank, it was ever so smooth. (whew!)

I noticed the ARPS he used were STUDS

AND a NEW Oil pump!

imma try to find some plastigauge today, and buy a new cluth (from justin727) 2MORROW! woohoooo!

Last edited:

estrellainc

Supra Agent
Dec 26, 2005
mississippi
I got up today to a busy start

I went to see justin727 today. Time for some plastigauge and some clutch action!

btw- justin727 is an awesome seller! BIG UP

He sold me his S.P.E.C. ST633 6puck clutch. SPEC3! :aigo: It looked just like what was on the motor when I picked it up from Baton Rouge- only NEW!

Got some plastigauge too! I got the green one (as suggested by Bishop).

After I got home, it was time to get started on fixin some SUPE!

I disconnected the electrical.

Removed the upper intake.
Disconnected the turbo elbow.
Unbolted the motor & tranny mounts.
Jacking it up with the hoist was ok, but I had to push.

This was ok untill I ran out of car for leverage.

Pulled it all out by myself. (WHEW!)

Wore myself out. this lot is on a hill. Im battling the hoist running downhill on me.
So I got the lawn tractor to help me move the assembly.

Chained it up to the hoist and pulled.
but suddenly....

The motor jerked forward, I dove off the tractor-
(youda thought someone was shootin at me! Its a PR/NY/MIA thang!) -ROFLMAO!

It swung past me and headed for the RX7, then the van. The hoist went over sideways and the motor and tranny dropped str8 to the ground.

(OMFG!) :eek:

Im freakin out by this time and started inspecting for breaks or cracks.

Could you believe the motor and tranny looked fine? I didn't dent the pan either! The only dent I saw was on the wastegate actuator. Im not sure if it was dented there already.

Curiosity took hold, and I wiggled the TURBO. Shaftplay was minimal- I wonder why it leaks oil into the IC.

Now I'm wonderin- WTFIGO? That bellhousing shoulda cracked!

I then notice that the hoist handle was driven into the ground aprox 8-12 inches and was ultimately what broke/slowed the fall. :icon_surp

I hoisted the motor back up (only a couple inches from the ground this time) and wrapped it in plastic.

I am DEF done for today. My nerves are shot. Time for some R&R.

OMFG!

Last edited:

Justin727

T-virus infected
Good To Hear. Glad You Got Your Plastigauge!!! I Knew I Had Some Just Couldnt Find It! Glad Your Happy With The Clutch. I Know Yours Will Be Running Soon So Bring It Down And Let Me Test Out That Clutch. Remember Break It In First Before "romping" On It.
It Was Nice Meetin Ya Man, Couldnt Believe You Spotted My Truck Out Of The Whole Lot But Hell It Is The Nicest One On The Lot!

estrellainc

Supra Agent
Dec 26, 2005
mississippi
Justin727 said:
Good To Hear. Glad You Got Your Plastigauge!!! I Knew I Had Some Just Couldnt Find It! Glad Your Happy With The Clutch. I Know Yours Will Be Running Soon So Bring It Down And Let Me Test Out That Clutch. Remember Break It In First Before "romping" On It.
It Was Nice Meetin Ya Man, Couldnt Believe You Spotted My Truck Out Of The Whole Lot But Hell It Is The Nicest One On The Lot!

Seller feedback sent too!
You'd be one of the few people Id let drive my supra.

johnathan1 said:
what caused the rod knock? Insufficient oil?
To tell the truth?
I had a bad leak one day from the valve covers. but when i fixed it, it drove fine for at least another month or two.

I was changing the oil like every 200-500 miles cuz i kept seein metal shavings when i dumped the oil.

It is so strange how it sounded that fateful day. It sounded like RK, then later like a spun bearing, and when cranked it again to move it the next day it was hollow like a wristpin went loose.

The good thing is that motors out. As soon as I button up the new motor, imma tear into that rod knocker with extreme prejudice.
I'll def let ya know what really happend.

:icon_bigg

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
LOL this thread is great.
The way you type, it sounds like you're actually talking, and you're full of energy... it's great, man...

Good build so far. We need more pics, and post them, don't link. We are all lazy!!!!

Justin727

T-virus infected
supra90turbo said:
LOL this thread is great.
The way you type, it sounds like you're actually talking, and you're full of energy... it's great, man...

Good build so far. We need more pics, and post them, don't link. We are all lazy!!!!

Dude and you hit the nail on the head. You always wonder what people on the forums are like and such. But he is exactly as you see him type. He's a great guy, full of energy, and real cool to talk to!

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Nice work, the pics help SO much, and if you don't want that bar there, there is a button on IS to get rid of it.

estrellainc

Supra Agent
Dec 26, 2005
mississippi
IHI-RHC7 said:
Nice work, the pics help SO much, and if you don't want that bar there, there is a button on IS to get rid of it.

aaahh. tight work.

could i ask ya maniacs a (maybe not so) quick question?
I found one of my mounts was snapped yesterday.
long story short I saw your thread about motor mounts. http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18508

is it a bad idea for a solid on one side (that breaks) and a soft for the compression side?

it seems like its doable since one of my mounts are fine.

Imma keep looking at the other thread cuz its more appropriate
thanks

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
estrellainc said:
aaahh. tight work.

could i ask ya maniacs a (maybe not so) quick question?
I found one of my mounts was snapped yesterday.
long story short I saw your thread about motor mounts. http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18508

is it a bad idea for a solid on one side (that breaks) and a soft for the compression side?

it seems like its doable since one of my mounts are fine.

Imma keep looking at the other thread cuz its more appropriate
thanks

Don't know if it's doable or not, but that's a really good idea. Put a solid mount on the tension side of the motor to firm it up, and a soft mount on the compression side to tame the vibrations.

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
That seams like a swell Idea, I'll be sure to clear up any confusion about using the JZ mount when it shows up, as well as get all y'all a PN for easy ordreing from Champion Toyota.
-Remember, Rodger "The Rocket" Clemmins gets his parts from Champion!