8an oil pump feed mod question

matts1987

Dec 3, 2012
naperville
Hello gentlemen please bear with me for this is my first time posting on this forum. So here's my story I picked up a 1987 Toyota supra turbo from an older man said he needed the money for knee surgery and was selling his sons car in order to pay for it. before I bought it We slapped in a new battery and cranked over the motor started firing on a few cylinders and was really trying to start up thinking it was a spark or fuel issue I jumped on the oppertunity of a decently clean mk3 with a rebuilt r154 rebuilt motor rebuilt differential brakes etc (had all the receipts and everything in the glovebox) guy was saying it was running a couple months ago (probably not a lie). Seems like a steal right? Well here's where things get interesting of course my dumb ass forgot to bring my compression tester and with a trailer and cash in hand I wasn't going to let this one pass me up I bought it. Boy was that the mistake of the year..I. Trailered it home and proceeded to go off the entire checklist of any unrunning engine checked fuel delivery spark delivery etc. Everything checked out fine still no fire. Caught up in my cockiness of my New steal I realized I never checked the motors compression thinking it was solid from what was a receipt of a less than two month old rebuilt motor. Cylinder number one great compression 150psi after 3 revolutions cylinder number 2 0psi zilch nada. Kicking myself in the ass now for being a dumbass and leaving the tester at home I disassembled everything the next morning pulling the head off..... Drum roll 4 melted pistons.... Considering almost every hidden intercooler piping was either rotten or cracked many disconnected vacuum hoses a turbo that was completely blown I'm talking every fin on this compressor was bent in odd angles I'm guess his dumbass son decided to just slap everything together again ran it incredibly lean and completely detonated the motor. (Sorry for my long story kind of my venting). So it wasnt but a week later I had the motor out of the car and I tackled the rebuilding myself. Got the block out to the machine shop they deemed the cylinder bores as needing just a hone (go figure right? But my measurements and theirs checked out fine) decked the head and block assembled the motor with the usual mods arp studs for everything eagle rods clevite bearings arias pistons cosmetic 5 layer head gasket shimmed the oil pump and went with an 8an oil feed for the oil pump etc etc. No shortcuts were taken. Couple of weeks later with the motor in the car and running beautifully Imight addthe exhaust camshaft decided to seize on my number 1 cam tower. Kicking myself in the ass again and worrying about oil starvation destroying the rest of my new motor I tore the head off again and pulled the motor... Absolutely no damage or marring or anything besides that one cam tower. Puzzled I pulled the oil pan off and the darnest thing happend my 8an line connecting the pump to the block burst off its fitting! So sorry for the extremely long story so here my question anyone ever heard of an line bursting from this low of pressure? I was seeing about 25psi hot at idle and hot at 4000 80psi occasionally cold in higher rpms id see around 100psi. I'm by no means an unskilled mechanic this being about my 6th motor I've rebuilt first 7m tho and I've use many an lines in my engine builds but never seen anything like this... Anyone else going this set up and have some kind of catastrophic failure from it? I blame a faulty Russell an line

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
So the line came out of the fitting?

Both Russell's and earls will say to pressure test every line before use.

Havnt heard of this before either and lots of people use the soft lines. Personally I'm not a fan of them. Arz sells a larger hard pipe.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
If you're seeing 100psi on cold starts un shim your pump a little bit. I shimmed mine ~4mm and the relief valve is at ~80 psi. Personally, I would definitely jump for the ARZ hard pipe. I'm thinking of redoing my turbo drain in a -10 hard pipe.. I've heard the rubber in the soft lines just cant take the temperatures.. Plus it's a giant pain in the ass to get on.. I swear, the factory hardlines were 10x easier than that softline..

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
High quality Teflon lines work for the drain and feed. Ss hose is a pain all around. Nylon braid hose is so easy to work with its like opening a beer bottle with a bottle opener.

matts1987

Dec 3, 2012
naperville
Sorry excuse my ranting lol it got out of hand and yes it basically popped out of the fitting but did so by shearing through about a quarter inch of the rubber base tubing and stainless wrap. I've heard of with the soft lines durability issues with the rubber tubing in ss lines degrading after months or years submerged in oil. But I really don't think after a couple of week like mine would do that....I can post pics in the morning. Also never heard of nylon braided being used for a feed line hmmm might be something I might want to try.

matts1987

Dec 3, 2012
naperville
Definetly in agreement hard pipe is the best ANs are a pain in the ass lol I must be favored by the engine gods for only having one bearing kill itself in complete oil starvation. I can't believe the others didn't shit themselves either

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Is it possible that the rotating assembly busted it loose?
I have the ARZ hardline kit as well, because i really didnt want to rely on a flexible hose submerged under
200 degree oil.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
mrbaboon;1899779 said:
i told you never to speak of that to anybody toby.
omg hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaa ow my ass hurt's form falling out of my chair hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

gold toby gold

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
in my not so humble opinion, unless you are going to be pushing the oiling system to eleven, the gains (i.e. pressure drop reduction) resulting from upgrading the oil pipe are not worth the expense. Go back to stock and spend your money on a thermostat-controlled cooler set-up and possibly a filter relocation.