89+ lip on pre 89 ???

MKivSupra_Rob

INLINE6
Jan 22, 2006
Wpg
its possible but it wont fit right, man if somewhere came up with a pre89 lip for sale they'd have so much demand from me and others asking this exact question.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
MKivSupra_Rob said:
man if somewhere came up with a pre89 lip for sale they'd have so much demand from me and others asking this exact question.

...I heard that. (begins thinking....)

JB91389

decisions...decisions...
Jun 22, 2006
Ottawa
Theres this guy here in canada working on an 87 lip(I'm also looking for one)...I'll keep all of you in touch. As for mounting the lip upsidedown, you can but it looks ugls and there are gaps. Someone did it up here too.

MA70Supra88

Boostless
Mar 31, 2005
Boerne, TX
CFX makes a pre89 lip, but with the carbon fiber shortage that is going on right now I don't know if Duane can make any more or not.

1011.jpg

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
since we're talking about the front end... what about the whole front bumper? not the frame inside, but just the front plastic parts that got changed. i'm assuming that you could just unbolt the plastic front bumper and replace with a newer year with the new styling and split front grille, compared to the older style like that one above? (and mine)

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
you could swap the bumpers of the pre 89's and the 89+'s, but I personally think the 89+ bumper is god awful, as do some others with the pre 89. But there are very few pre 89 lips around, which sucks!!! I think whenever someone new finally makes one, they're going to make a killing

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
mine is bent. :(

or someone attatched it wrong. i need to repaint it...i was driving out of a parking lot to fast (very steep exitway) and scraped it...

SupraDerk said:
you could swap the bumpers of the pre 89's and the 89+'s, but I personally think the 89+ bumper is god awful, as do some others with the pre 89. But there are very few pre 89 lips around, which sucks!!! I think whenever someone new finally makes one, they're going to make a killing

yeah i think i like the older ones as well. i still can't decide on the taillights though... dunno which year i like most on that one.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
well, I like my homemade lip, but its a tad too low and scrapes on damn near everything. But its pretty good for the price (cost me less than 40 bucks to build)...I wonder if I could make them available as a kit...haha. These pics were taken while it still looked all perfect and purty...I really need to replace the cover on it...its only $4.50 to re-cover, but I hate driving over to Albany to go to Home Depot...BLEH!

spoiler1.jpg

spoiler3.jpg

spoiler4.jpg

Side note: at the end of the summer that Tib is getting a Supercharger....WEEEEE!

canadianbacon

Extra Crispy
Dec 10, 2005
Coquitlam, BC
Looks kinda neat! It reminds me of cove base. You know, the kind they use around a lino floor. LOL:slap: I would be interested on how you came up with that idea. I know they sell the lips at the dealer for about 300 CDN here. I think it looks all right!

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
haha NOOBS! jk ;)

I'm guessing ya'll have never heard of the Home Depot lip. People (especially Civic owners) use garden liner (the black stuff that lines gardens) and make lips out of them. I don't think he used garden liner, but it's a similar idea. Doesn't look half bad...at least it's SOMETHING for the pre 89 haha

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
It's cove base.... I've worked with too much of the stuff to miss it. Dirt cheap and VERY flexible.

The 89+ lip won't fit the pre89, inverted or otherwise.... not without a considerable amount of work. Unless of course, you actually want an odd fitting lip with an odd lip of it's own. The 89+ lips are wider in the front, and have much more gradual curves on the corners. I think they might also come further forward then the pre89 (the one easy fix).

I am surprised at how well the cove base lip turned out. I had been considering building an aluminum frame and wrapping it with FG. Might have to try the cove base until then though.