89 GTE Random Starting issue

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
So long story short, Car was full rebuild went well, looks great runs amazing

sometimes the car will turn and just not catch. Now I saw to myself ignition..Maybe igniter going or needs rebuilt as well and there is a great thread on opening it up and cleaning connections.

but here is the thing If its deciding to not catch If I mash the pedal to the floor and crank it, bam there it goes fires right up.

and when the car is running its flawless. Just goofy and frustrating to start randomly.

FPR or the Dampener maybe? searched a bunch of threads and I saw heat soak resting pressure stuff but the car will do this randomly hot or cold not after running a while.

EDIT: crap sorry I put this under GE threads; sorry mods I'm at work and its early :S

Last edited:

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
UPDATE: had the issue today it started without throttle mash but while idling just shut off and threw a 14. I have found my culprit. Time to rectify

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
interesting I was checking out the TSRM and it said to take a look at it, I'll test it as well.

Just picked up an igniter from member here also just in case. never hurts to have spare parts.

running the test on the igniter today and will move onto the cps too

I'll keep an eye for another CPS too.

much appreciated info :)

If anyone has more to check into let me know! :D

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
UPDATE: Good call Kotu Got home and Unplugged my CPS and blew out the connector and pressed a little firmer inserting it into the female end. Car fired right up.
This is after the car wouldn't catch yesterday.

I will still keep an eye for another CPS and the igniter on the way. having back up's for the electrical will be fantastic.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Chances are it's the crispy cps wiring that's causing the issue. You could also double check the air gaps against tsrm spec to make sure everything spec's out.
Glad you got it running again.