89 7MGTE | time machine restoration, "build".Highly motivated with no time or energy

bandit1730

May 19, 2012
Miami FL 33181
Some OEM parts came in today from Curt Aigner at Elmhurst Toyota, but have been so busy with work (and nfamily came back from Orlando) that haven't had time to relax and open it. Maybe tomorrow!!!!

bandit1730

May 19, 2012
Miami FL 33181
Found many threads in regards to installing "Freeze Plugs", but none about removing them. I most likely will take the block for the 4th time to the machine shop to have them installed, but want to clean/prepare the holes first.

Question: How to remove the plugs?

bandit1730

May 19, 2012
Miami FL 33181
Backlash2032;1958940 said:
Let the machine shop deal with it lol

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA

Want to do my my obsessive cleaning and prep before going to the shop. Anyways.... I found some YouTube videos with the plug removal info I was looking for (very simple :icon_bigg)

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Make sure they know about the front plug- it has to be dimpled dead center in order to make it expand and seal the circumference. I expect that they're familiar, but it doesnt hurt to check.

bandit1730

May 19, 2012
Miami FL 33181
Update on 7MGE pull-out.

CIMG0167.JPG

CIMG0170.JPG

CIMG0169.JPG

Un-fortunately, the tranny left a goodbye mark. I had to pull it off by myself and believe I had a beer too many.
CIMG0168.JPG

This is the actual time I finished the pull 10:30 PM. Have to wrench it late evenings due to the high temps and humidity in South FL.
CIMG0172.JPG

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
Looking good, I hated working in the day time on the car. It felt like being stuck out in the desert. But hey, its all worth it in the end when your getting into boost, and the only thing creeping, is the huge smile on your face.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I remember my first boost. Surprised the hell out of me and I got to the end of the block way faster than I should have. Lol stop sign... Haha

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
Backlash2032;1959258 said:
I remember my first boost. Surprised the hell out of me and I got to the end of the block way faster than I should have. Lol stop sign... Haha

HAHA mine was in the rain, on bad tires down a minor hill.....luckly I had had previous experince with purposely lossing control of the vehicle. Monge's down the whole street...maaahaha.

bandit1730

May 19, 2012
Miami FL 33181
Still gathering parts here and there. Just cutted-off the rusted battery tray section and also removed engine bay's wiring preparing for paint. "Time and energy" issue as the title reads, are playing their roll big time (hot and humid weather are taken a toll on my 48 yr old body).

Will post some pics later-on during the day (holy crap... today's my younger daughter's 8th birthday. Well, if not today, some time tomorrow (Daughter's has priority and wife is already calling the car "The Mistress".GrimJack.... I feel you. We should start a club!)

CIMG0215.JPG CIMG0216.JPG CIMG0217.JPG CIMG0218.JPG CIMG0219.JPG

CIMG0220.JPG CIMG0221.JPG CIMG0222.JPG CIMG0223.JPG

Battery tray will have to be fabricated (Elmhurst Toyota's Curt confirmed that is not available in the US or Japan).

Last edited:

bandit1730

May 19, 2012
Miami FL 33181
Just an update (Hence the "no time or energy").

Had to go to NYC on business to sort a whole lot of issues being that I manage my company from Miami (own small limo company and had to replace a vehicle with a new 2014 Lincoln MKT). The vehicle in question is a 2006 BMW 750Li with 295K miles (yes... 295K). Vehicle is in great shape because on this line of business maintenance is a must, but as with any Euro vehicle, it is a super expensive and stressful process (specially if you are not there to take charge). This vehicle has a N62 engine with leaky valve seals being the #1 culprit on all N62s. Some of this engines start smoking at a very early stage (with less than 50K miles for those lucky owners still under warranty or CPO. This one started smoking at 110K and the tranny was rebuilt last year at a tune of $4K). Ok, so I drove the BMW without any issues to Miami and started diagnosing, ordering replacement parts and ripping it apart to take the engine out and send the head for a valve job and see the condition on the block (I'm told you don't need to bore the blocks because they're covered with a special material preventing wear (yeah right). I am just waiting for the vanos timing kit to arrive + service manual to pull the engine out. Now back to the Supra.

Before I left to NY, I managed to fabricate and replace the rust I had cut and taken out plus sprayed some primer over it for rust protection until I got back (I will take and post some pictures tomorrow). The next step is to lay a fiberglass mat over the repaired area before applying the bondo to prevent future corrosion due to future acid leaks (not under my watch).
It's been little over two months since I ordered/paid for the yellow sub-frame bushings and still have not received them. We should contact "Energy Suspension" and propose a group buy and perhaps they be interested if we are able to signup a large group ($450.00 F/R set of which $90.00 goes to shipping is not an effective buy considering we have to wait months for the bushings to arrive).

bandit1730

May 19, 2012
Miami FL 33181
CIMG0285.JPG CIMG0296.JPG CIMG0297.JPG CIMG0298.JPG

Layered some fiberglass on top of repair just in case battery was to leak again (not on my watch). Now I have to sand again and apply a bondo coat on top of fiberglass. Then remove sub-frame, paint engine bay and sub-frame, install Ronnie's/Energy Suspension bushings and start putting front end it back together again.