88 key set

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
I've got an 88 with no keys, I'm planning on pulling the door lock and having one made, but can anyone tell me if the door and ignition keys are the same, and if an 89+ tail section can be rekeyed to match the 88 key?

thesupragod

Supramania Contributor
Apr 10, 2005
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Yes to all of the questions! However, most of the time the rollers in the ignition tumbler wear out. And, on a side note, there are like a total of 7 keys for all early model ma70's, so if you have a few supra friends, they have a key that already works for all of them.

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Nice! Yeah I have a few but they are all on here lol, novody local. I can always have a custom set of locks made at my locksmith. I did at least find out that im not good enough with a lock pick to turn the ignition, I was going to pull it but can't get it turned at all

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
86-89 uses the same key blank, 90-92 is different. If you have an 86-88 and are planning on using the 89+ tails, I'd recommend a lock cylinder from an 89 so it can be used with your existing key.

The key code is on your RH door lock cylinder if you wanted to pull it to get the code, there are (significantly) more than 7 key codes of course, but when things get old they wear out and then other keys start to work, haha. If you have new lock cylinders it really limits the number of other old Toyota keys will work on it. It depends how much of the wear is on the tumblers and how much is on the cylinder bore itself.

Jeff

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Jeff Lange;2067878 said:
86-89 uses the same key blank, 90-92 is different. If you have an 86-88 and are planning on using the 89+ tails, I'd recommend a lock cylinder from an 89 so it can be used with your existing key.

The key code is on your RH door lock cylinder if you wanted to pull it to get the code, there are (significantly) more than 7 key codes of course, but when things get old they wear out and then other keys start to work, haha. If you have new lock cylinders it really limits the number of other old Toyota keys will work on it. It depends how much of the wear is on the tumblers and how much is on the cylinder bore itself.

Jeff
I actually bought it with an 89 tail section and 3 piece so im dreading the lock situation back there... Toyota dealer said they couldnt do it without a key, but my local smith can make an impression from the door for 20 bucks.

Could I possibly get a replacement ignition and have it keyed to match the doors or would I be better off getting the new ignition and rekeying the doors instead?

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
If it were me, I'd keep the car keyed to the original key code, so I'd pull the passenger side lock cylinder, get the code off of it and have a new set of keys made. Once that's done, check and see if there are any lock issues, and get new locks for those (ignition, hatch), then have them rekeyed by your locksmith to match the new keys you already had made.

:)

Jeff

Black Cat

Sep 11, 2009
Fort Bragg NC
Speaking of door key codes, I'm having an issue where the dealer says the key code is a 5 digit code but my door only has 4 numbers.
I even went as far as pulling the lock out of the handle to take it in but once again they say they need 5 digits.

Car is an 89 from Canada land if that helps any.

supposedbigfoot

Nov 29, 2013
conyers ga
Black Cat;2070376 said:
Speaking of door key codes, I'm having an issue where the dealer says the key code is a 5 digit code but my door only has 4 numbers.
I even went as far as pulling the lock out of the handle to take it in but once again they say they need 5 digits.

Car is an 89 from Canada land if that helps any.

Yes it is a 5 digit code. It should be start with a R then have 4 numbers.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
If the code is not stamped on the RH door lock cylinder, it may have been replaced at some point. A locksmith may be a better option at that point.

It's definitely 5 characters.

Jeff

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
Had a key made from my cylinder, but my tail doesn't match. Anywhere I can buy a pin set for it?

Black Cat

Sep 11, 2009
Fort Bragg NC
Thanks Jeff, I found another thread on here that pointed out where the code is, I was reading the wrong numbers.

Now I have another problem with my car being from Canada land and I'm not so the code doesn't work in the states and I'm no where near the border.