88 Blue Turbo restoration/upgrade story

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
lithium14;1765636 said:
dude... how bad of idea is it to keep driving with rod knock until I can afford another engine?....
It's not bad if you would like to completely destroy your engine and get stranded somewhere lol. I feel your pain but you aren't going to make it far on an engine that is knocking. The first mistake was having a Supra as a daily driver without any emergency funds, but nothing you can do about that now. Public transportation if it is available...

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
lithium14;1765653 said:
Just drained my oil. Metal Shavings galore. yep... she's done. Time to build for 500hp or more. All I need is another DD to take me to school this week. My Supra is now officially project car status. Good things gotta come to an end sometime.

Sorry to hear about this dude. Im anal about checking my oil i do so once a week. If it makes you feel any better it cost about $1400 to rebuild the bottom end of the 7M provided you pull the motor out yourself. take your head off and send the rest to the machine shop. I disassembled both of my buddies motors just to save the shop the trouble. Labled each piston and rod and where they went.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Yeah... I'm usually anal about everything too, but ever since fall semester started, I've just been... overwhelmed. As for what's gonna happen. If this 1998 toyota camry turns out to be a good deal, then I'll pick that up as my DD, and when the funds start building up again, I'm gonna pick up my buddies built 7m in dallas. Actually, I might pick it up. Her engine is running fine, or I might get mine completely rebuilt. Not sure yet. And this had to happen right after I got all the parts I need to do my trans job lol.... *sigh

gelboy1015

Vroom Vroom!
Jan 1, 2007
Houston, TX
JDMMA70;1765690 said:
Sorry to hear about this dude. Im anal about checking my oil i do so once a week. If it makes you feel any better it cost about $1400 to rebuild the bottom end of the 7M provided you pull the motor out yourself. take your head off and send the rest to the machine shop. I disassembled both of my buddies motors just to save the shop the trouble. Labled each piston and rod and where they went.

Lol, I check my oil and coolant everytime before I leave the house, so basically every day.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
It's been awhile, so I figured I'd update. Nothing has been going on. At all. I've been stranded at home 40 min from school with no ride and no way to get to public transportation on a regular basis. However, I am hoping to pick up an SC400 on Wednesday as my new daily :D. Once I get the daily settled in, new fluids and some basic maintenance etc, it will be time to focus on the supra. I hope to pick up an already built 7M from a buddy in Dallas and go from there. Her 7M has eagle rods, HKS MHG with ARP bolts, Clevite bearings and stock pistons. Not sure if anything has been done to the head, I'll ask them. So once I get her engine, I will combine it with a 57 trim from Albert, finalize the IC piping issue I have and go from there. I'm debating about certain issues with the engine, mainly: should I get the upgraded oil pan from driftmotion?, should I get the upgraded oil pump from DM and the oil pump supply tube from ARZ?, I think it may also be prudent to install a new water pump as well and a new timing belt, but my freinds engine only has 9k miles on it so... hence the debate. thoughts??

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
Quick question, which you has probably been asked and answered already. How did you strip the sawblades, aircraft remover? I'm thinking of plasti dipping them first and possibly paint them to see if I like it first without permanently messing them up, but I really love the machine finish when the paint is stripped. What clear coat did you use?

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
NP, you are correct, I used aircraft paint stripper, then polished with some meguiars. I ended up not using the clearcoat because I don't have the tools for proper application. But the clear coat I intended on using was the Glisten PC clearcoat. It's super hard and water activated, so getting it wet is no issue. Hope that helps :D

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Honda or Celica dd.

Full engine rebuild to stock specs is easy for under 1k. I've done it twice. Should only take you 2 Weeks. If you can get a daily then take your time and do it right. :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
lithium14;1778546 said:
NP, you are correct, I used aircraft paint stripper, then polished with some meguiars. I ended up not using the clearcoat because I don't have the tools for proper application. But the clear coat I intended on using was the Glisten PC clearcoat. It's super hard and water activated, so getting it wet is no issue. Hope that helps :D

Do you remember which polish, exactly? I want to do it right the first time and not get some shitty polish and have the wheels tarnish.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-5101-Aluminum-Polish-Paste/dp/B0009H519Y/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_b

sorry it's mother aluminum polish... not meguiars :p TBH the polish is not mandatory, you'll see once you strip the wheels, the machined face is very shiny already.

as for my daily, sorry I haven't updated the thread in a bit. I got myself a Lexus SC400 1992 with 151k miles for $3700. She runs wonderfully, but I have a CEL and the codes indicate both main o2 sensors, but after changing those out, it's still pulling the same codes, I think it may be a TPS issue which would explain my high idle. But all in all it runs good and I can focus on the Supra now.

My plans for the Supra right now are to purchase an already built 7M from a buddy for $1600. It has clevite bearings, eagle rods, stock pistons, HKS MHG, ARP bolts and a new oil pump. It also gets amazing gas mileage for a 7M, but once I pick it up... that will change. I plan on getting the DM upgraded oil pump with the ARZ oil supply tube and the upgraded oil pan for lower end upgrades. top end I think I will keep stock. I'll get some 650cc injectors, a 57, 58 or 60 trim from Albert, Lexus AFM, braided lines for the turbo oil supply, oil filter relocation, oil cooler, BIC engine mounts, upgraded alternator, and an HKS BOV.... and an AEM truboost gauge/controller. At the same time I plan on finishing building the a340e: I'll send my valve body off to Devin, my t/c to boostlogic and install a filter on my cooler lines. I also need to install my new steering rack and PS pump and inline filters for that as well. I would also love to find a fabricator to weld up my custom IC pipes. And I will need to install my walbro an do the 12v mod on it. I also have some new interior pieces coming in, so those will be installed as well. Hopefully by the end of winter I will have all this done.

Supra28

Supramanian
Aug 17, 2006
Columbus, OH/Kansas
I also wondered about 12V mod on the fuel pump. What's being done for this mod? I know, a newb and silly question.

You got quite a list to complete there man haha. Why the 650cc injectors oppose to 550's?

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
tbh I'm not sure about the 12v mod yet either, I just know it's a must so the fuel pump can receive full power at all times. as for the injectors, not realy sure, but I feel like going slightly bigger may be more beneficial for my setup. I will need to do more research into this. LOL it's ok I'm a relative noob as well :p. Anything to do with electronics, tuning... just blows my mind at this point

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
You don't want to go to big on stock ecu as pulling to much fuel will affect the ignition timing. Even with 550's you have to pull a bit.

I'm running 1200's on stock ecu however I am controlling the injector duty cycle seperatly so it leaves the airflow signal the same, unlike using a SAFC, it changed the airflow so affects timing as well

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
For some reason I never noticed the update on the thread LOL... thanks for the info Devin!! I guess for what I am going for 550 is probably as big as I wanna go then. At this point, all I am really looking for is to get the car up and running smoothly. Power will be more than what I had before regardless so that should keep me happy while I begin to research more on tuning etc.

I just made my first orders with driftmotion, azp and BIC =D. Hopefully in a week or so I can go pick up the engine woot!!!

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
oh yeah I also decided on going with the 57 trim from Albert just to stay on the safe side, since I tend to be a heavy footed driver LOL XD.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Disassembly has begun. My goodness CT's are tiny -_-. I want to get everything in my bay either anodized or ceramic coated LOL.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
anyone know how to disconnect the tranny oil hardlines?? -_- I can't figure it out... cuz I can't twist the hardlines to unscrew the unions. or whatever ppl do to get the tranny prepped for pulling with the engine.

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Alright, not much going on, but I got some pics, so here goes:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Pile of parts in my room, SC and Supra alike

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Rusted battery area... need a fix for this

sm_photo_missing.jpg

lots of oil...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Took so before shots so I can compare when it gets back from Albert :D

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I hate these kind of connectors...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Yep, got me a black 89+ non USDM steering wheel. I hope it's plug n play LOL Also got black e-brake as well. Stoked.

Going through the 50 step checklist for engine pulling made by Grimjack? I forget... just printed it out