87mod engine harness on 89mod engine?

SupraMKIII-NO

Jan 11, 2010
Norway
Hi,

I have installed a 7MGTE 89mod in my 87mod chasssie, and I have e few questions. But first, I need to say that I am going to use a standalone ECU (EMS), so I am aware that I can not use the 87 mod ECU on the 89mod engine and so on. But my questions is:

- If i use the 87 mod engine harness, the connectors inside the car will fit 100%, but is there any difference on the connector on the engine?

- If i use the 89 mod engine harnes that came with the engine, the connectors inside the car would not fit, but of course all the connectors on the engine does. How do i rewire the connectors in the car? (if this is the only option)

So, can i use the 87mod engine harness (that would fit the car) on the 89 mod engine, and as I said before, I have a standalone ECU/EMS, so that would work anyways..

Regards, Daniel..

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
I have a 87 7mgte in my 89.
My suggestion to you would be to use the pre-89 ECU and engine harness. There are only a couple sensors that have different plugs on the engine, either swap the plug, or swap the sensor.

IIRC the CSI time switch is different and the O2 sensor is different.

SupraMKIII-NO

Jan 11, 2010
Norway
Ok, thanks alot! =)

Does anyone know where i can buy "connectors" and "pins" to make my own little "jumper harness" between the 87 and 89 mod?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
You shouldn't need to make a jumper.

The headlight up pin is different, but doesn't need a jumper, it just needs to be moved one over.

For the ABS, I made a jumper harness for mine, but that's because i had the chassis side ECU on the '87 donor car, and it was going to the wrecker. I cut the ECU side of my '89 harness off, too, which was kind of a shame, but not a big deal.

The '87 ECU in the '89 chassis wasn't a problem at all.