87 turbo into 90 na wiring questions

koreyd

Jan 25, 2009
fall river mass
I have a 90 na. the shell is in prestine condition. i would like to wire the 87 turbo engine harness into the 90 body harness. is this even possible. i have been researching what all the connector near the ecu. do but i have not found a pinout for the four plugs that are near the ecu plugs. i believe the connectors i am curious about are b1 b2 b3 plus a two pin connector.

or should i just stripp the entire car and install the 87's body wiring. would rather not do that if i can just plug and play or repin a few connectors

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I have a thread where I got help converting an 89 harness for my 92. It is here:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99311

You can use the diagrams posted in there to figure out where your wires would need to go, but I don't know if you will have all that you need. Of course, you won't have wiring on the 87 harness for the air bag, so you will lose that.

Other than that, I can't be much help. Page two has what you want.

I have all of my old housings if you need them. But, you need to figure out if you are going to be able to make this work.

koreyd

Jan 25, 2009
fall river mass
so i can just take the connectors off the 87 body harness and repin them for the 90 body harmess. and i should have a plug and play turbo engine harness

koreyd

Jan 25, 2009
fall river mass
i dont really care about the airbag. so when i go with my 87 engine harness all i really lose is the airbag. are there any plugs on the body harness that run to the engine bay that i am going to have to repin also

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
yes that is what you will be repining. you have the ecu plugs on the engine harness which is like 3 or 4 and then theirs like 6 other plugs and a couple of those will need to be repined.

koreyd

Jan 25, 2009
fall river mass
from what i have read so far. i have decided to go and fetch my 90 na harness out of the car and put both my harnesses together and make 1 turbo engine harness that will connect to my 90 body harness.

my next question is how would i wire the 90 tach to work with the setup after
from what i understand the na tach(all years) is different from the turbo tach(all years). are there any other difference or can i follow the diy on this site

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I honestly overlooked the N/A of the 90 harness. I see that complicating things a bit. I would think there may be some wire color issues at the least, and you probably don't have everything you need for a turbo on the N/A harness. Do you have the 87 turbo harness? If so, you may have what you need to do the re-pin.

A word of warning. Some of the wires that you move from one plug to the other will need the terminal to fit the new clip so it can lock correctly. You will have it on the wire you took out of that clip, but that will create a whole bunch of soldering or butt connectors. DrTweak sells wires with correct terminals, or new housings if you need anything.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
for the tach you have to either get a turbo tach or replace 2 of the resistors in the tach. i used to have the pic of it but lost it.

koreyd

Jan 25, 2009
fall river mass
i have the 87 turbo engine harness and i will getting the 90 na harness out of the car this week. also i am not afraid to solder it all together.

While i am at it. i am also wiring in a vpc and safc, turbo timer, boost gauge, and wideband.

it is as easy as removing the the tach out the cluster and replacing it with turbo tach out of the 87. i have another tach autometer i think but not sure where to put the gauge and would rather it as stock as i can keep it