87 Supra non turbo WILL NOT START!!!!

o1supra

Dec 4, 2010
Hampton VA
Ok heres my problem I have a 87 non turbo I just replaced the head gasket put everything back together except timing cover, crank pulley alt, now I've done head gaskets before and was always able to start the cars without putting those parts on to make sure everything was right before closing it up. But for some reason she just wont start up. I have spark the timing is set right its TDC distributor lined up to #1 plug(checked that several times) new fuel pump its getting fuel pulled plug and theres gas on it everything is pulugged up no lose wires or hoses. WHAT AM I MISSING???? Does it have to have the alt plugged up? cause its not at the moment thats the next thing i'll try but right now I'm stumped this is the first car to ever stump me. So I need some advise from those more expirenced with supras. I live in Hampton VA if anyone is close by and can help or a reply would be great. Im having supra withdrawls need to get her back on the road!!!!!!!!! LOL

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
You say you don't have the crank pulley on? But you do have the harmonic balancer on?

AFM plunged in, ground wires hooked, especially the ecu ground under the intake manifold?

o1supra

Dec 4, 2010
Hampton VA
This might be a dumb Question but isnt it the same thing because after taking off the crank pully theres nothing else there. I've heard people refer to it by both names. All wires are straped up theres nothing lose

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
o1supra;1731275 said:
This might be a dumb Question but isnt it the same thing because after taking off the crank pully theres nothing else there. I've heard people refer to it by both names. All wires are straped up theres nothing lose
Guess you can say it is the same thing, I wouldn't run the motor without it.

But without it, how are you sure the timing is right???

LoveMySupra

Aug 3, 2008
Socal - USA
AJ'S 88NA;1731271 said:
... especially the ecu ground under the intake manifold?

I'm not trying to thread jack, but I thought this might help out here..
Is this the ecu ground you speak of under the intake & is this the proper location for it?

Attachments

• ground.jpg
    ground.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 20

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
LoveMySupra;1731318 said:
I'm not trying to thread jack, but I thought this might help out here..
Is this the ecu ground you speak of under the intake & is this the proper location for it?

Yep that's it.

o1supra

Dec 4, 2010
Hampton VA
I'm going by the timing marks as shown in the manual they are all lined up where there supposed to be. I dont run the car long without the balancer just about 30 sec's. I had a 82 supra and did the timing the same way and never had a problem with that supra now that was a great car.

o1supra

Dec 4, 2010
Hampton VA
Well special thanks to white zombie for coming over and figuring out why my car wouldnt start it turns out that when i took the head to the machine shop he removed the cam gears but when he put them back he didnt put the gear back on the center pin on the cam so even thought i lined every thing up right since it wasnt on the center pin it was really off time by alot. I would have never thought to look at that. So all this time it was a error the shop made that kept me down. But once again thanks to white zombie for his help now I will be ready for the road trip in november.

Last edited: