87 Supra N/A to JDM 7MGTE and R154 Swap Complete

SupraTurbo_MK3

Jan 6, 2011
Amherst Ohio
I just picked up an 87 N/A supra with a JDM 7MGTE swap complete running just fine with a R154 transmission

Now I do have some concerns, it still has the 7MGE wire harness. Wouldn't that cause some problem's?

I believe it has the 7MGE fuel pump will that cause a problem?

It still has the 7MGE MAF sensor, what will that do?

7MGE ECU is that a problem?

I also noticed it has a distributor instead of the coil pack is this hurting the 7MGTE?

What ever the case I'm just glad to be back in a turbo supra!!

SupraTurbo_MK3

Jan 6, 2011
Amherst Ohio
LOL wow really why didn't any of you just simply ask for picture's????? I'm quite sure I forgot more then most of you kids will ever know about engine's......It IS a JDM 7MGTE.....At least on toyota-supra .com I got an intelligent answer....Look's you guy's really don't know shit so you just started talking shit.

For all you assholes that don't believe me

p1658651_1.jpg

p1658651_2.jpg

p1658651_3.jpg

spikesnstuff09050 you must be feeling pretty fucking stupid right about now

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
ok so hes running a GTE on non turbo harness, ECU, Flap type Air flow meter, distributor, what injectors are they, does it have a timing retard device?

SupraTurbo_MK3

Jan 6, 2011
Amherst Ohio
Well when my question's were met with smart ass answers and doubt it kind of pissed me off

I don't know what injectors are in there yet. I'm going to check tomorrow.

There is no timing retard.

I'm worried that the GE ECU has me running lean so tomorrow I'm going to hook my a/f gauge and find out for sure

I was hoping that maybe someone had a similar setup

I'm hoping a piggy back could solve these problems?

I can take more pictures tomorrow.....Any specific angle's or close up's you want to see?

SupraTurbo_MK3

Jan 6, 2011
Amherst Ohio
JStoked;1658842 said:
Not to be a smartass but how is this even possible? More detailed pics would help man.

lol the more I think about it the more I was confused.....But the car so far has run fine and is pretty quick the guy ran a 14.1 he showed me the slip.........I'm going to find out if I'm running to lean today if so I'm going to get a piggy back not sure which one to go with yet...Get a bigger fuel pump, injector's, and going with individual coil packs...I also plan on getting a fuel cut defender and turning up the boost.

I will take more pix today I'm going to be out there putting a new back hatch on it today

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Yeah, the only way to tell if it really is a GTE is does the oil drain and oil feed for the turbo really exist in the block or is it tapped into the oil pressure sending unit and the oil pan

SupraTurbo_MK3

Jan 6, 2011
Amherst Ohio
spikesnstuff0905;1658873 said:
I'm still saying that guy took an N/A and slapped a turbo onto it. Just because that timing cover says 7MGTE doesn't mean it really is, i see one of those on every junkyard turbo i find. Btw I don't feel stupid at all, because you bought a POS from some idiot who doesn't know how to do body work OR build a motor. Nice shaved molding, buddy. Is that JDM too?

Actually I didn't buy it I traded a 95 GST that was broke down for it.....I know it's GTE because I have the receipt for the engine and transmission...Along with every receipt to any repair's or maintenance that was done to my car from 1993 to present...I'm betting your car doesn't??...I am only the 3rd owner...My car came from Georgia and is very solid..I checked the part number on one of my injectors it's for a GTE....There is no external oil pump that is tapped in my oil pan......As for the body work it's not done kid but when it is it will be a lot cleaner then your car......You tried to look cool by talking shit, you were wrong admit it and move on it's that simple no need to feel shitty about it....We all make an ass out of our selves from time to time, this time the ass is you.

SupraTurbo_MK3

Jan 6, 2011
Amherst Ohio
spikesnstuff0905;1658953 said:
Lol you're the one who asked me if i was fucking stupid because i gave you my opinion, and you're the one popping off at the mouth like an ass. I just had my car painted a few weeks ago, so your appearance comparison is null. Don't post on the forums if you don't want feedback, and FYI you're going to get positive and negative when you throw something like this up. If another forum was giving you better answers than we are, why are you back? Go fix your monstrosity. For the record i don't think anything that has been done to that car will hurt it, other than the ECU and the fuel pump. Not getting enough fuel when you raise boost will blow your motor in short order. The dizzy in place of a cps isn't WRONG it's just fucking ass backwards, and you probably won't have any problems with it. More than likely he wasn't getting spark so he switched to the dizzy, and then switched back to an NA ecu to make it compatible. The wiring harness doesn't matter as long as the neccessary plugs have been added/modified. The ge AFM reads in volts instead of hZ like the gTe does, and is a flapper design which is probably another reason he was using the non turbo ECU. Fuck you, and have a nice day.

LOL once again you are wrong....."I don't think he knows what a turbo is"....You call that an answer?? Your the one that came off an asshole. Did you really think I was going to be a bitch and not say something? lol who the fuck did you think you were kid? Now your giving information that has all been covered on this thread already good job genius lol go fuck yourself douche bag. Go ahead reply I don't care I'm done wasting my time with you kid.

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

I'm going with a MAFT Pro, walboro 255, and a wideban sensor the innovate motorsport LC-1 should do fine with these mods

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
SupraTurbo_MK3;1658383 said:
I just picked up an 87 N/A supra with a JDM 7MGTE swap complete running just fine with a R154 transmission

Now I do have some concerns, it still has the 7MGE wire harness. Wouldn't that cause some problem's?

I believe it has the 7MGE fuel pump will that cause a problem?

It still has the 7MGE MAF sensor, what will that do?

7MGE ECU is that a problem?

I also noticed it has a distributor instead of the coil pack is this hurting the 7MGTE?

What ever the case I'm just glad to be back in a turbo supra!!

I guess everyone thought that you got ripped off or was scammed into recieving a NA/T because it's still using all the 7M-GE parts for some reason.

Reguardless, I would say that you should go ahead get a Innovate or AEM wideband to install in the car if you don't already have one laying around. If you're planning turning up the boost I'd change out the afm, injectors, ecu, throw in a Walbro, and get the GTE coilpack. All of which could be had relatively cheap for the 7M. I'm sure you'd be find with the stock afm for the gte and 440s (if your car doesn't already have them) or you could go ahead just upgrade to the 550/Lex AFM provided you have the proper fuel mods.

JStoked

Jun 27, 2010
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
Ok just ran this by my bro. You are prob for sure running lean man and yes a piggy back like a neo will help you out. As for me I would change it all over to the correct set up. But that's just me man.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Guys, cut him some slack and stop being assholes. Great way to greet someone to our forum. :nono: He is obviously new to the car and doesn't know what he has. And if push comes to shove, yeah, you look like fools because it IS turbocharged- regardless of whether or not it's a GTE block or not. Lose the attitudes, and help the guy out. That's why he came here. Thread cleaned.

SupraTurbo_MK3;1658750 said:
Well when my question's were met with smart ass answers and doubt it kind of pissed me off

I don't know what injectors are in there yet. I'm going to check tomorrow.

There is no timing retard.

I'm worried that the GE ECU has me running lean so tomorrow I'm going to hook my a/f gauge and find out for sure

I was hoping that maybe someone had a similar setup

I'm hoping a piggy back could solve these problems?

I can take more pictures tomorrow.....Any specific angle's or close up's you want to see?

Take it easy, dude, throwing the attitude back won't get anyone anywhere around here. What you appear to have is a N/A->T, which could be many different types of bastard swap. You could have a 7MGE block with a turbo slapped on the side, thus retaining all the GE electronics, you could have a GTE block with all GE electronics. There are a few ways to tell, if you're interested I'll make a little list for ya to check/verify a few things to properly determine what you've got there. Since you're running on a GE system, I'll guess that you're probably running lean with no extra fuel control. We don't know if the pump has been upgraded, or if the fuel pressure regulator has been swapped for a GTE reg, or even the injectors.

Take pics of under the intake manifold. If there is just one knock sensor in the middle, could be an N/A block. If there are two knock sensors (one in front, one back near starter) then it could be a GTE block, or a GE block modified for two knock sensors. Take some pictures of the oil feed lines going to the turbo, the oil pressure sensor, and the oil dipstick location. Grab the part numbers off the injectors for us, too. Is there an oil cooler on it? And do a compression test, and let us know the numbers if you can. (this could tell us whether it's got N/A pistons or Turbo pistons)

SupraTurbo_MK3;1658847 said:
lol the more I think about it the more I was confused.....But the car so far has run fine and is pretty quick the guy ran a 14.1 he showed me the slip.........I'm going to find out if I'm running to lean today if so I'm going to get a piggy back not sure which one to go with yet...Get a bigger fuel pump, injector's, and going with individual coil packs...I also plan on getting a fuel cut defender and turning up the boost.

I will take more pix today I'm going to be out there putting a new back hatch on it today

Stay away from any fuel cut eliminating device. That's a quick way to kill your motor. Besides that, the GE ECU doesn't have a fuel cut like the turbo ECU does, which is bad in my opinion. The GTE electronics are much more sophisticated in this area, and for good reason. (run lean = boom)

Aug 12, 2010
P.G. County, Maryland
I understand that keeping on point is in everyone's best interest, but just deleting all of my posts, including one of the only ones that had any real information towards his original question, and then the last thing i posted (which was an apology to everyone in case you didn't think it was worth reading) doesn't make much sense.

SupraTurbo_MK3

Jan 6, 2011
Amherst Ohio
shaeff;1659135 said:
Guys, cut him some slack and stop being assholes. Great way to greet someone to our forum. :nono: He is obviously new to the car and doesn't know what he has. And if push comes to shove, yeah, you look like fools because it IS turbocharged- regardless of whether or not it's a GTE block or not. Lose the attitudes, and help the guy out. That's why he came here. Thread cleaned.

Take it easy, dude, throwing the attitude back won't get anyone anywhere around here. What you appear to have is a N/A->T, which could be many different types of bastard swap. You could have a 7MGE block with a turbo slapped on the side, thus retaining all the GE electronics, you could have a GTE block with all GE electronics. There are a few ways to tell, if you're interested I'll make a little list for ya to check/verify a few things to properly determine what you've got there. Since you're running on a GE system, I'll guess that you're probably running lean with no extra fuel control. We don't know if the pump has been upgraded, or if the fuel pressure regulator has been swapped for a GTE reg, or even the injectors.

Take pics of under the intake manifold. If there is just one knock sensor in the middle, could be an N/A block. If there are two knock sensors (one in front, one back near starter) then it could be a GTE block, or a GE block modified for two knock sensors. Take some pictures of the oil feed lines going to the turbo, the oil pressure sensor, and the oil dipstick location. Grab the part numbers off the injectors for us, too. Is there an oil cooler on it? And do a compression test, and let us know the numbers if you can. (this could tell us whether it's got N/A pistons or Turbo pistons)

Stay away from any fuel cut eliminating device. That's a quick way to kill your motor. Besides that, the GE ECU doesn't have a fuel cut like the turbo ECU does, which is bad in my opinion. The GTE electronics are much more sophisticated in this area, and for good reason. (run lean = boom)

Ok you guy's got me worried about what block I have so tomorrow I'm going find out for sure. I will take the pix and post them up. The did provide receipts but that doesn't mean that engine is in my car.....This is my second turbo supra but the first time I have seen a setup like this. I have an a/f gauge I didn't get to hook up yet but I will tomorrow or wednesday......I did check the injectors there GTE injectors and there is no tap into the oil pan and no external oil pump but I'm better safe then sorry