87 supra 1jzgte swap main harness question

SupraBro

hey guys and girls! about to start my 1J swap into a 87 turbo, I was thinking about not cutting into the harness but making a hole into the firewall on the driver side. I figured it would help two things, 1, not cutting into harnees to prevent future possible problems. 2, It would look cleaner. Has anyone done this or have any tips if they have done this. I have been a mobile electronics installer for 14 years, So im very picky on how wiring looks. so if you have any suggestions please let me know!

thanks again!
brandon

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Done it both ways. Extending it is easier to get it in and out of the car.

Also depends on exactly what harness as not all of them will reach.

As long as you cut 1 wire at a time and either crimp or solder wouldn't be a problem and then all the shielded wiring should be replaced. Long process tho.

The biggest downfall for cutting another hole is then sealing it and the other stock hole.

SupraBro

hvyman;2076064 said:
Done it both ways. Extending it is easier to get it in and out of the car.

Also depends on exactly what harness as not all of them will reach.

As long as you cut 1 wire at a time and either crimp or solder wouldn't be a problem and then all the shielded wiring should be replaced. Long process tho.

The biggest downfall for cutting another hole is then sealing it and the other stock hole.

HVYMAN, Thanks for the info! I'm a solder and shrink wrap kinda guy. I figured cutting one wire at a time at different lengths would keep the harness slim, I'm looking really heard into going into the driver side, If I do, I will post up some pictures! thanks again!

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
Gets tight stuffing all the extra wires across the inside of the dashboard. And then re-assmble the glove box with all the pieces.