87 7mgte exhaust question

wsharp23

Jul 27, 2009
Grover Beach, CA
Im going to upgrade my stock exhaust system to make it a 3" and add a new downpipe. I was wondering if i can hook up a 3" downpipe to the stock catalytic converter or if i would have to find an aftermarket one from like magnaflow. I live in CA and have to pass smog so i cant just add a test pipe. I would like to stick to a 3" downpipe and dont think i can get the BIC DDP because it lets exhaust out into the atmosphere, BUT I dont think that someone would check to see since ddp's probably arent that common. That said, is the BIC DDP 3" all the way through or does the 3" include the wastegate pipe? Therefore making the pipe that would go into the cat smaller and fit the stock cat. Anyways, what is the best option for me to take? Has anyone else been in the same position?? Thanks

Kota

Jun 26, 2009
michigan
3" cats arent too expensive on ebay, bringing a 3" pipe down to stock is defeating the purpose. plus from what i have heard, the stock cat is very constrictive.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
wsharp23;1374995 said:
Im going to upgrade my stock exhaust system to make it a 3" and add a new downpipe. I was wondering if i can hook up a 3" downpipe to the stock catalytic converter or if i would have to find an aftermarket one from like magnaflow. I live in CA and have to pass smog so i cant just add a test pipe. I would like to stick to a 3" downpipe and dont think i can get the BIC DDP because it lets exhaust out into the atmosphere, BUT I dont think that someone would check to see since ddp's probably arent that common. That said, is the BIC DDP 3" all the way through or does the 3" include the wastegate pipe? Therefore making the pipe that would go into the cat smaller and fit the stock cat. Anyways, what is the best option for me to take? Has anyone else been in the same position?? Thanks

there's an option to get the bic ddp rerouted. also, the 3" applies to the entire pipe from the turbine to the cat. the wastegate pipe is a bit over 1.5" and simply dumps it back into the tube later on down if you reroute, to still provide the full effect of divorced downpipe (as in it still provides less turbulence), but with less noise.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
get a recirc ddp and a 3in high flow cat.

i pass ca with a 57 trim(stock boost) with a 3in dp, 3in high flow cat, and 3in catback.

wsharp23

Jul 27, 2009
Grover Beach, CA
hvyman;1375131 said:
get a recirc ddp and a 3in high flow cat.

i pass ca with a 57 trim(stock boost) with a 3in dp, 3in high flow cat, and 3in catback.

Thanks, what cat do you have? and i noticed that some on ebay have an o2 sensor. does the stock cat have the O2 sensor?

Last edited: