7MGTE vs EVO,04 Cobra,WRX,Big block Fbody

Mike Morris

May 4, 2008
MD/DC
Like most of you I getting really SICK of this damn car at times. Its been by far the most unreliable Toyota I ever owned. But when everything is right its a lot of fun and a real sleeper.
My car has a stock 7MGTE bottom end with ported head,honed manifolds,3" down pipe,hks piggybacks, SP61GT,Carbon fiber drivershaft blah blah. It runs low 12-high 11s on pump gas in excess of 120MPH at 19-20psi. Looks wise the only giveways are MK4 rims with drag radials on the back. No tint. No guages, Factory paint sans the rear(converted to 89 and up pieces). Its not even lowered.

Saturday night I let my friend Dan drive the car(He owns a 12 sec n/a 1995 Mustang GT). I had drank 3 beers and didn't want to get in any trouble or drive. So I let him have some fun
It didn't take much time to get in some trouble. We ran across a white EVO(not sure of the year). Dan ran him before in his Mustang and lost by about a car. The kid said he ran 12.7s.
The kid sorted of laughed when we asked to run at next light. He stated he was stock. Funny I don't rember carbon fiber hood,lip and a fart muffler on the back of those at the showroon but oh well.
By second gear we are about 1.5 cars behind. By third it got ugly for him. Dan is not used to shifting(6k shift points-what???) or launching a heavy car with no bottom end power so he did well considering the EVO got walked in third pretty hard.
Did a u turn and got ambushed by a nasty looking and sounding 04 Cobra with skinnys on the front. First race Dan hung with him and let out in traffic. Next time we lost by about 2 cars to 100 or so. Dan gave him the kick which was crazy to do since those cars have power NOW. Guy in the Cobra was a complete moron. Stated he ran 11.10 at 125MPH with just a pulley and a tune. Right. I made a mental note to get him next time with any of my other cars.
Got into with a bike-small one-by 120MPH we had him by about 2 cars from a third gear roll. Not sure what it was.
Dan next got into it with a WRX with a huge front mount. I don't know what else was done to it. Dan bogged in first and slow shift in second. WRX had use by maybe a fender. Dan hit third and WRX got walked badly. Guy at next light wouldn't even look over.

Next is the best.
Coming out of a local town I get tailgated by a yellow 69 SS with a 502 GM crate motor in it this morning. I heard this car ran mid to high 11s at about 113-115 on slicks(its tubbed). Once we get out of town I smack it-I leave him pretty good. Farther down the road he passes me. Its a two lane road so I decide to let him get in front but get right behind him to show him he can't get away from me. I then pass him-he smacks it(60MPH). I pull away from him. Now with him behind me we come up on some cars in front-3 of them. I pass them. He tried to keep up. BY 130MPH I am way ahead. We get to a light and I have to turn off. I give him thumbs up-he won't even look at me. Oh well.
All runs pump gas and 18 psi(it was cold today). Not bad.

V8hntr

Undersquare
Mar 7, 2007
SoCal
hey Mike, I'm a huge fan of your supra. I really enjoyed your v-8 kills. The look on their faces is priceless after they realize they lost to a little inline 6.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Excellent!:) Makes me wish my car was in one piece again. :(

The Dude

no more supra
Apr 5, 2005
Okinawa, Japan
Nice kills. Glad to see one of my all time favorite supras is still in your hands, clean and mean. On another note, 2009 Zr1 Vette :love:

suprafanatic

May 25, 2007
Greenwood, IN
Good call on not driving after drinking ;) could have been a completly different post.... but very nice kills! its always good to show muscle car guys what we got

Mike Morris

May 4, 2008
MD/DC
V8hntr;1149582 said:
hey Mike, I'm a huge fan of your supra. I really enjoyed your v-8 kills. The look on their faces is priceless after they realize they lost to a little inline 6.

Thanks. You are very kind.

Mike Morris

May 4, 2008
MD/DC
"Good call on not driving after drinking could have been a completly different post.... but very nice kills! its always good to show muscle car guys what we got "

Yea drinking and driving is a disaster waiting to happen.

"I want my car done so bad...my threads will be so numerous.. "

Good luck!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
What turbo are you running? 19-20 psi on pump gas sounds like a grenade about to go off......:biglaugh:

Good kills. I haven't had the pleasure of racing a real cobra. I've beat lots of cobra wanna bees with the badges and everything else, but way too slow to actually be one.

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
Either the guy with the 04 Termi was lying about the times or he was lying about the mods. I have seen plenty of 03-04 Cobras in the 11s with little mods but not that little. With a pulley comes KB BAP for the much needed fuel or twin Walboro's depending on how small the pulley and usually some sort of CAI and new X-Pipe along with a throaty catback. Thats just for barely 11s with a good driver and some sticky tires.

Jay...I have a couple buddies that wouldn't mind racing you but you would just have to be at the right place at the right time on the freeway or something. They aren't ones for meet and race. Look for these license plates, VNMOUS, KNTMARE, I WINE, MONGUSE(really a GT) and they will most likely run. They are all on the NE and N side of Bham. If you see any others let me know and I will tell you if I know them...just send me a PM.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Ryan, if I see any others, I'll be telling you about the outcome, because I race them first and ask questions later.
Once I get my new turbo here and installed, I may be out looking for a VNMOUS cobra to tangle with. See you in a couple of weeks.

03bamaGT

Sep 20, 2008
Bham
Sounds good man...there is a TT Cobra running around north Bham as well but he doesnt like people to know about his car. I can say his dyno numbers are very high and it is a very well built car.

Yea let me know if you find one and race em...see if I know them so I can either congratulate them or rub in a loss haha.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Hopefully you'll be rubbing in a loss and congratulating me, but we'll see. I've still got a few bugs to work out on mine before the meet. My turbo isn't here and I have my gas tank dropped out adding another fuel pump.