7mgte trouble revving, code 11

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
Fresh build. Starts fine, idles great(no surging, sputtering). Give it throttle it bogs and then recovers, but doesnt rev freely. It acts like afm or tps. Uplug either one, idle changes slightly but still bogs with gas. replaced both the tps and afm, still no dice.

mods are afpr, t4 turbo, bigger spearco replica, hard pipes all else is as stock as i could leave it for the break in.

only code coming up is code 11. Checked all grounds, and there is power to the batt teminal and b+ and b1 (voltage on these two terminals is about .3 volts lower than the batt voltage) Next thing i'd like to do is run a fused wire to the B+ and b1 and see if i can get rid of the code 11. what is the best place to tap into these wires? Cut the wire a few inches behind the plug?

Any input or suggestions is appreciated, this is driving me bonkers. I dont want to let it idle much more the time to seat the rings is fading quickly.... Thanks!

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
We are back on the original ecu as I don’t think this is ecu related. Possibly wiring issue...

The code 24 may have been due to unplugging the afm (but could be a valid issue). I think the last time we pulled codes today it was normal with no codes (even after running). I can get the 51 if I tap the pedal in diag mode(tps plugged in). Unplugging the tps does not help the bogging either and produces no codes when it is plugged in or unplugged. Next thing is to test voltage from the tps to ecu.

When the afm is unplugged it does not help with the bogging and only gives the code 24, but not the code 31 (is this normal?). Checked continuity from afm plug to ecu and grounds, seemed to check out ok. The engine acts the same if the afm is unplugged, still will not free rev, bogs with sudden throttle. Light throttle or feathering of the throttle can get the rpms up.

Could a boost leak cause this much trouble at low rpms and relatively no/low boost? Running out of ideas. JJ could you let me know if I am on the right diagnostic path or not please?

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

did this, both were known working afms but they could both be bad.... if this were the case the car should rev up to 2.5k rpms then cut out, but it doesnt (someone correct me if I am wrong here).

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
7thousandpiecesMGTE;1600138 said:
JJ could you let me know if I am on the right diagnostic path or not please?

You are not. Stop messing with the afm/tps and look elsewhere.

Btw if you get 51 with a pedal tap it's impossible not to get it with the TPS unplugged because both situations result in electrically the same thing...

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
how is your exhaust system? factory or aftermarket? I had a bogging issue when i bought mine which i thought was afm, but turned out exhaust was completely plugged, dont remember if i had codes or not, but it would not rev at all or move out of its own way.

Just seen your mod list so exhaust may be out of question. you dont by chance have any restriction in intake piping? maybe a rag or something? what is your vac reading at idle and when you give it throttle? how much pressure dont you get at tailpipe?

Cam timing correct? cps installed properly?

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
89supra7mgte;1600357 said:
how is your exhaust system? factory or aftermarket? I had a bogging issue when i bought mine which i thought was afm, but turned out exhaust was completely plugged, dont remember if i had codes or not, but it would not rev at all or move out of its own way.

Just seen your mod list so exhaust may be out of question. you dont by chance have any restriction in intake piping? maybe a rag or something? what is your vac reading at idle and when you give it throttle? how much pressure dont you get at tailpipe?

Cam timing correct? cps installed properly?

aftermarket custom downpipe, no cat, to a raptor racing exhaust system. Unless a rat climbed in there....but I dont think that is the issue :) , i can always unhook the exhaust and see if that changes anything.

Mod list is a bit off, I am on stock injectors for the break in and t4 turbo with external wastegate.

Next thing I'll do is recheck timing, plugs, hardpipe connections, intercooler, vacuum lines.... already swapped coil pack out, fuel pressure is good on the afpr gauge. Reading 11hg of vacuum at idle with throttle it goes to 0, feathering or slow throttle can build boost. Have not checked pressure at tail pipe.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
^+1 cam timing needs rechecked. 11" is way too low. Also are you running the lex afm? is so you need you need your bigger injectors or you are gonna be getter more air than fuel and the ecu might put it in a safe mode situation. (not sure but might happen) make sure your cams are keyed properly, but dont think it will run if they arent. check for vac leaks, causing the low vac reading, as well as cam timing.

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
89supra7mgte;1600570 said:
^+1 cam timing needs rechecked. 11" is way too low. Also are you running the lex afm? is so you need you need your bigger injectors or you are gonna be getter more air than fuel and the ecu might put it in a safe mode situation. (not sure but might happen) make sure your cams are keyed properly, but dont think it will run if they arent. check for vac leaks, causing the low vac reading, as well as cam timing.

Where should it be if 11 is too low? Running stock afm with stock injectors. Will check cam timing.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
89supra7mgte;1600570 said:
check for vac leaks, causing the low vac reading,

Make a vacuum leak on your car and see if the vacuum reading changes.

To the OP vacuum readings should be 18-20 depending on elevation.