7mgte to 7mge conversion.

W3bstar

Dec 5, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yep.
Here goes.

So I have two Supras (good news) but they're both not running (bad news).

One is a engine swapped rebuilt 7mgte with no engine harness and a few other electronics, no radiator, no intercooler, no oil cooler.

The other is a non 7mge with bhg.

Considering the fact that both engines are technically the same, I was thinking that I could convert the 7mgte to a 7mge using the GE intake, exhaust, pistons (to compensate for compression) and electronics.

I figure I can make a strong 7mge Engine with oil squirter as a bonus.

So, who wants to make me famous?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
There are not the same from a technical point of view. The 7MGTE was built from the 7MGE with modifications. Perhaps that is what you meant. The 7MGE has a better compression ratio at 9.2:1. Which is still quite low for pump gas.

W3bstar

Dec 5, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Lol, sorry. I had a few last night but I tried.

Long story short, I have a 7mgte supra but it's missing alot of key components (IC, engine harness, intake, etc.) And I have a 7mge supra with bhg. I researched that both engines are the same as far as the head and block goes (The only difference being the oil squirters). So Im thinking of removing the turbo on the 7mgte and dressing it up with 7mge components.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
W3bstar;2072677 said:
I researched that both engines are the same as far as the head and block goes (The only difference being the oil squirters).

Why do you continue to state incorrect information when you clearly have not done enough research?

Intake camshafts are not the same.
Compression ratio is not the same.
Different pistons.
Engine control computers are not the same.
Knock Sensor(s)
Oil Pump
Oil Squirters
Oil Return
ISCV

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
To get the GTE engine the right pistons is going to require 90% of the work and funds that it would take to:

A. Buy components to complete the GTE

OR

B. Repair the BHG GE

Swapping the GE into the GTE car would be a huge waste in both time and money.

Do some more research on exactly what parts you're missing and find them used. You can piece together most a 7MGTE by now for nearly nothing.

W3bstar

Dec 5, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So it can't be done?

Damn. I may be without a car for the rest of this year.

Honestly the problem is more funds than anything. I've already done a part list of everything that would be needed to have the GTE run again and it came up to about $3600 and change (dr. Tweeks engine harness, driftmotion ic, oil cooler, etc.) Money I really don't have nor will have anytime soon.

I figured I could somehow find a cheap way out of the mix but if it can't be helped.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You could run the turbo engine on ge electronics. Minus the turbo. It would just be low on power.

W3bstar

Dec 5, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Due to the GTE's low compression I'm guessing.

Isn't there a way to increase it tho? Like using the GE's pistons, crank, etc. ?

cinderMK3

I want all the HAm
Apr 13, 2015
Akron Iowa
You're not missing anything on the GE? From info says the GE just BHG. Just rebuild the BHG, it's Cheap and now you have one running Supra. Unless I'm missing something, that would be the best route instead of trying to mash the combo.

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
W3bstar;2072708 said:
Due to the GTE's low compression I'm guessing.

Isn't there a way to increase it tho? Like using the GE's pistons, crank, etc. ?

why waste the time and money rebuilding the gte to use ge pistions when you could just get the rest of parts needed to make the gte work. stock 7m parts are usually still either cheap as f or free. i just gave away a rod knock 7mge for free.

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
if you have little to no funds, ill be the one to say it.

the mk3 supra needs a lot of maintenance and some money to keep them going.
it is after all a 24+ year old car.

maybe a supra just isnt right for you right now

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Hang on. You came up with a $3600 price tag to get the GTE running?!?!?! What?!?! How?! You can buy a 100% complete GTE with all components for half that, less if it's non-running.

Why are you buying anything new? If you're strapped for cash, buy all parts used. Junkyard. Forums. Craigslist. Screw the driftmotion IC kit, buy a used one for $50, piping and all.

The engine harness is a tough one, I can understand that. Having a flaky harness left me dangerously stranded multiple times before I made my own. Other than that though... go USED! :)

You can repair a 7MGE headgasket the right way for under $1k easy. Far less if you play it risky and cut a few corners. You can find all the needed gte parts for under that same limit, easily.

Spend some time hunting for used parts and piece yourself together that GTE. I did the same years ago as a broke college grad and barely spent more than $2k for the motor and all accessories plus a few extras.

W3bstar

Dec 5, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
suprarx7nut;2072810 said:
Hang on. You came up with a $3600 price tag to get the GTE running?!?!?! What?!?! How?! You can buy a 100% complete GTE with all components for half that, less if it's non-running.

Why are you buying anything new? If you're strapped for cash, buy all parts used. Junkyard. Forums. Craigslist. Screw the driftmotion IC kit, buy a used one for $50, piping and all.

The engine harness is a tough one, I can understand that. Having a flaky harness left me dangerously stranded multiple times before I made my own. Other than that though... go USED! :)

You can repair a 7MGE headgasket the right way for under $1k easy. Far less if you play it risky and cut a few corners. You can find all the needed gte parts for under that same limit, easily.

Spend some time hunting for used parts and piece yourself together that GTE. I did the same years ago as a broke college grad and barely spent more than $2k for the motor and all accessories plus a few extras.

In my area these are rare cars. The junkyards here don't have the parts.

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
If you have a Facebook, I'd recommend looking at some of the supra pages. There are tons of very affordable 7m parts posted every day

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
If it was me, and I just needed to be able to drive the car around, I would swap all of the external parts and electronics from the 7M-GE onto the 7M-GTE and drive the car. You'll be a bit low on power due to the compression, but the rest of it will be fine. Yes the intake cam is slightly different, but the car will drive just fine. If you're super worried about those things you can always swap the intake cam from the 7M-GE, pistons if you want to, but I wouldn't worry about it to be honest.

It sounds to me like you have enough parts to have a functional car without spending really any money. It might not be quite as fast as it should be, but it can run well and you'll be able to drive.

You can always finish up the turbo setup later, just hang onto the parts.

Jeff

W3bstar

Dec 5, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So quick update (for those who care), apparently the harness isn't as jacked up as the magical mechanic says it was.
That removes a good $1300 off the price tag.
Me and my uncle decided on making a custom exhaust so that drops another 600 from the tag.
And i decided on buying cheaper, less "high performance application" parts, so thats another good 700.

it would appear i was blind to the resources and paths to take.

i should have the car running before summer ends.
happy me.