7mgte running way to rich

nicole43105

Feb 18, 2010
san antonio, tx
I have an 89 supra that i just did and engine rebuild on. Only about 50 miles on the rebuild and machined head. Idle is good, timing seems ok, but its running super rich and bellowing smoke that reaks of fuel. It's greyish smoke but smells of fuel and nothing else, not losing oil or coolant anywhere. The engine has all new gaskets, bearings, rings, etc... and the head went to a machine shop and has new valve stem seals and all that. I installed a mhg and arp head stups and torqued them down to spec. It has and HKS intake system on it and a new ct26. I only have a 3" downpipe on the car, and am sure my 02 sensor is bad, but i dont feel that would cause the massive amounts of smoke and fuel consumption, it also blew the efi fuse around 30 miles on the car. Any suggestions?

gottadiesel

Flyin Low
Feb 16, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
Do you have a gauge on your fuel system or a way to check fuel pressure? Is everything else (other than what was mentioned) stock setup? Injectors, AFM, Fuel Pump, fuel pressure regulator etc...?

The efi fuse blowing - Other than the obvious cause of fuses blowing (shorting positive to ground) the fuel pump, injectors, ECU and some other items are all on that fuse, did you do anything as far as re-wires with anything on the EFI system?

nicole43105

Feb 18, 2010
san antonio, tx
Other than the stuff I already mentioned everything is stock except for some intercooler piping, no I havent redone any of the wiring, and as far as what available I dont really have a way of checking the fuel pressure here

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
what spec did you use on the head studs? tsrm or arp per application? i blew a fresh hg once that blew grey smoke smelled like fuel. (3 inch ex no cats) double check your cooling system as well. just be on the safe side. efi blowing, could be in the direction of the pump going bad, or just a weak fuse. make sure you didnt some how pinch a wire to injectors or anything during install.

nicole43105

Feb 18, 2010
san antonio, tx
the intercooler piping isnt leaking, the wiring looks good, it just blew the 15 amp for the fuel system, the pump doesnt sound weak when it primes, I have a code for the o2 sensor which i know is bad and an egr code because the system was eliminated

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
is it a cal emissions car? if so like on mine with egr gone, it sets erg gas temp code, after 100 miles or so, you can put in a 5k ohm resistor in that connector to eliminate the code. what spec did you use on the head?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
To OP:

A bad O2 Sensor is rough on your gas mileage. An O2 Sensor shorted to ground will ruin your day too.

I would replace what you know is bad and go from there.