7MGTE running rough after comp. test

BLACKCAT

May 24, 2007
BHG
Did a comp. test on a warm engine & now its running rough after start up & lacks power.

The ignition & fuel system was disconnected during the process.

All the cylinders were between 135-140 psi.

No excess coolant pressure.

Put in new spark plugs, re-checked timing (10 degrees BTDC) but still have the same problem.

Is it possible that the cylinder walls may have been damaged during the cranking?

BLACKCAT

May 24, 2007
BHG
Will remove the NGK BKR6E plugs & check the gaps (set at 0.8mm), tightened with torque wrench to 18 lb/ft.

Also noticed that the exhaust note, at idle, is now pulsing a lot more between high & low pressure where before it had a more even note.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Cylinder wall damage? No.

Sounds like maybe a loose or unplugged connection? Have you checked all the connectors and plug wires? With no codes and no other changes it seems likely you've got a misfire because something isn't plugged in (spark plug wire?).

BLACKCAT

May 24, 2007
BHG
Checked the spark plugs & they are all at 0.8mm.

All the wiring/leads are fine even tried my spare coil pack but still the same issue.

Did the upside down water bottle trick & sure enough it started blowing small bubbles when really hot.

Took it for a spin around the block & it shuddered & shook, even struggled to get to 60km/h on a flat road.

The ******* 7M is the only engine I know of that can blow a head gasket while you are doing a compression test.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Wait, how do you know it's a BHG? You'd have seen that in the compression test pretty clearly. If it blew somehow during the test it was pretty screwed from the beginning.

What's the bottle trick? Color me confused.

BLACKCAT

May 24, 2007
BHG
The bottle trick is where you cut off about 3 cm from the bottom of a 1.25l soft drink bottle, put it upside down over the radiator opening, seal it with some tape & run the engine.
As the coolant heats up it expands & the level rises.
If there are any constant bubbles when the engine reaches normal operating temperature than you know there is a leaking gasket or a crack in the head or block.

Trust me I know the signs of a bhg as I have had 3 7M's & have had to replace the gasket on each one.
This one lasted me 5 years of hard driving so I am not surprised.