7mgte reman'd crank kits

mk3ftMFw

Mini Toon Burnout!! FTW!!
Jan 24, 2007
Cincy
Forging #6M Blueprint series, matched bearing sets, plastiguage, and bolt boots included. All units are radiused for strength, hand chamfered for increased oiling, indexed for straightness, also shot peened & stress relieved for durability. *** Call 1-888-834-7458 for application verification and estimated delivery time prior to ordering ***

what do you guys think?

and why do they include plastiguage? i thought plastigauge was to measure how large of bearing you need?? can someone clarify?:nono:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Plastigauge is a rough and ready way to check the final Oil Clearence NOT a substitute for precision measurements.....

Our motors use a select fit bearing system from new, on the production line the measure everything then stamp the block with a series of numbers to indicate bore and main bearing saddle sizes.

When the block hits assembly all the need do is look at the stamps and grab the correct range bearings and off it goes to the next station, Problem with reman cranks is they can't/don't take this into account so you might end up with tight/loose clearences along the block depending on how accurate the saddles are.

Also if it's below 10/10 and hasn't been rehardened it's junk..

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Really depends on your block if it's going to work out within spec (this is why the give you plastigauge in the kit so you can check but if it's NOT in spec what do you do?)

A shop will fit the bearings to the block measure it then grind the crank to suit so you can use ALL the same size bearing, ditto when the resize the rods they will set them ALL to the same bigend size allowing identical bearings to be used in all 6 rods.

Toyota do the select fit thing here as well.

Select fit is a great way to assemble 10's of 1000's of motors on a production line and can work for the home builder "if" you have precision measuring equipment and the skill to use it.

Once you have Inner/Outer diameters you can "select fit" the bearings ordered through Toyota (a touch expensive though)

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
A full bottom end rebuild. New resized rod and mains, everything checked, new oil pump, water pump, and refreshed head with all the shims mic'd and changed out where needed.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
I came out lucky and found a kit that was within specs using the plastigauge. For stock motor I would say it is within acceptable tolerance. If I were to make poser on this motor however I would have the block and rods sent out with the crank for a full machining to get it blueprinted as they call it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
mk3ftMFw said:
so what would be your advise in fixing a rod knock?
Sorry missed this yesterday!

As SS5 said above ^,

I'm NOT trying to be a smartarse or a prick but the fact you had to ask about plastigauge would indicate this sort of precision work is a little beyond your skill level.

Take the cleaned Short Block parts to a reputable machine shop and have them resize the rods (good time to fit ARP bolts) get them to measure the crank and if it's std size have them grind it to 10/10 and supply some quality bearings NDC's or Clevites (NDC's in Clevite boxes).

Have the bores measured and if within spec have them flexhone it ready for the new rings (now would be a good time to have the Block, Timing cover and Head surfaced).