7MGTE Oil Cooler Bypass Questions

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
One of my oil cooler hoses burst spraying almost a quart of oil all over the bottom of the PS pump and thereabouts.

1) Will it do any harm to loop the oil cooler line from the filter housing straight to the pan while I acquire parts? I figure on basically staying out of boost until the setup is complete.

2) Has anyone used any of the ebay oil cooler/relocation kits with any success? I was thinking a kit like the one linked, coupled with a Hayden 163, NA stud, and extra lines/fittings. My thinking is that at the most I'd have to redo the lines/fittings with summit or earls stuff.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Stock oil cooler lines are just reg 3/8ths oil hose. Unless your talking about the metal line.

And your better off just piecing your own kit together. The lines are either going to be too short or too long and all of it is cheap quality.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Wasn't sure if standard sized hose would work. Just saw how much Toyota wanted for the lines and figured why not spend a little more on a proper setup.

Since it's a several mile walk (no bicycle handy) to the parts place I'll just loop the lines today and run up there. I need a new thermostat anyways as all that was available to me was a 160 (in FL). Now that I'm up north I'm thinking a 190 is a better option especially mated to the Mishimoto rad.

If all works out I'll revisit the oil cooler idea in a couple months.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Oil lines fixed for less than $30. $16 for 8' of hose, $12 for 2 quarts (don't we all miss the days of $2/qt oil???), and tax.

Also removed the catch can after it only catching a couple ounces in the 40+k it's been there.

Definitely going to be revisiting the oil cooler idea in the spring though. I figure ~$400-450 to do it with the proper hose/fittings/cooler....

Thanks for the hose size. Saved me a couple hundred dollars of eventual fail.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
hvyman;1792480 said:
Stock oil cooler lines are just reg 3/8ths oil hose. Unless your talking about the metal line.

And your better off just piecing your own kit together. The lines are either going to be too short or too long and all of it is cheap quality.
Actually 10mm ID hose from memory but -6 or 3/8 will work ok.