7mgte noise

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Just out of curiosity....have you checked to see how the tension is on the timing belt? I've seen the timing belt slapping the casing from being too loose at around those rpm's.

Checked everything over for loose nuts and bolts?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
To me, that kinda sounds like the fan might be hitting the shoud, or a bad alternator bearing.
It's kind of hard to diagnose. I would think you could pinpoint it with a stethescope.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
supraguy@aol;1812742 said:
I would think you could pinpoint it with a stethescope.

Also, the timing belt being strechted isn't likely because it would be noisy at idle when there is little tension on it. Possible, just not probable.

1SLOMK3

Dec 4, 2010
Arizona
The tension on the belt seems fine, there is no timing cover on the car... There is an exhaust leak by the cat underneath the car, I dont think that has anything to do with it since I ran open dp for a while. It sounds like the noise is coming from closer to the front of the head by the cam gears. Im thinking it might be bad valve shims but im not sure. Im going to pop the valve covers and have a friend come take a look at it this weekend.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Albert;1812818 said:
Valve clearance

Yeah, always something to check if can't find anything obvious on the outside. Should be able to narrow down the area with a stethescope fairly easily so you know which shims to check right away (though if you have the covers off, may as well check them all).

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Okay well I went over there to help and I checked his clearances. Other than maybe 2 or 3 shims that are out of print by .001, there is one shim that is either bad, or a keeper came off, because I couldn't even get the .0015 feeler gauge to pass through.

So the cam is constantly hitting the shim. But it runs perfect, no misfiring.

Gonna have to take off the cam to investigate.

Anyone think that could be the noise?

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
He never checked it with a stethoscope. He pulled off the valve covers, and I came over to check it

Oct 4, 2011
PA
Mine sounded just like that. It ended up being the downpipe was rattling of the subframe. Just something to check, but since it seems to be a stock rebuild I doubt thats your issue. Just some insight

1SLOMK3

Dec 4, 2010
Arizona
Havent been able to get it back together to start and check it... Been pretty busy. I guess it could possibly be the dp, being that it started making that noise after I put a stock dp with cat on for emissions. But I doubt it

1SLOMK3

Dec 4, 2010
Arizona
So after replacing the shim I finally got the car back together to start it. First start the cps was way off... fixed that. Tried again and car started right up, runs/drives perfect and doesnt make that noise anymore!!! Wohoo! :icon_bigg