7mgte missing/popping at idle

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
Heya guys, I'm posting this mainly due to curiosity sake, there's no actual problems I can detect in the car.

Cold start.. 1kish rpm
Warm idle, pops around like it's missing but as soon as any power applied it's perfect, runs fine, boosts fine, revs fine everything. The popping at idle is driving me mad however, anyone would think I have a lumpy cam :p

I'm thinking not really ignition related as it would be more pronounced under load and it's fine under load :/

Discussion welcome :)

Tia xD

Oh, forgot all the important stuff >.<

Stock ecu + Fcon running 550cc injectors, custom 1j ffim, 1uz throttle body, 3sge tps, stock afm, stock coils, stock ignitor, zt2, boost/vacuum gauge, smexy engine and so forth xD

oh and for the 7m haters... no bhg :p

edit: oh yeah a buddy of mine reminded me that recently I pissed around with the cps timing and I haven't had a chance to pop a light on it yet.

Last edited:

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
oh hmm, when i first got it running :p Probly uhh, 4 years ago.. xD

However it's not done too many kms, possible fouling I guess, gonna do them along with timing, just using stocker plugs atm.

I'll put that on my to do checklist lol

Just spent the day fixing my mum's supra, lower right control arm uber fukaroo'd xD

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
uhm... I thought this was pretty normal for these engines :-/

I know some people have gotten rid of the issue by cleaning/re-routing grounds. My previous 89 turbo always had a slight miss/pop @ idle and I thought nothing of it... the 89 I have now runs smooth with no miss... I did add an extra igniter ground for good measure though

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
hm... sounds like your car is in good shape... there are a few possibilities, but there's not loss of power or miss under load, right?

I'd check all the ignition wires for the coils and the injectors, I've seen cases where spark will jump and ground irregularly across the coils... I think at this point though, it's a matter of checking over as much as you can think of... if it's not causing any driveability issues, though, I'd probly ignore it... but I know all about OCD :D

suprajztwenty

Nov 5, 2009
corinth tx
same issue here, grounded ignitor, new-used coils, 8mm plug wires, 4 different brand plugs. i have full 3" and i think it just makes it louder and thats why i hear it and bugs me so bad. ive learned to deal with it but if anyone finds a solution ill be the next one out there turning wrenches!

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Reviving an old thread. My first motor which was stock with 317k on it. NGK wires, copper plugs and an intake and exhaust ran smooth at idle. Then my second motor would pop and miss at idle but ran fine. I noticed when the guys did the install that the coil pack didn't have its ground. How do you ground the igniter?

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
7M4EVR;1921589 said:
+1 for cps issue

looks like thats quite the possibility, did some checks over my ignition system today and cps is 186ohm on each pickup, I checked over all my others and picked the lowest one which was 156 (have 8 spares LOL) and air gap is good, so I'm going to flick that in and set my timing.
Coils & leads checked out fine although one of my leads is going suspect as it has higher resistance than #5 or #6 and it's #4 i think lol, still within spec technically heh

I can't do the battery check for the igniter in the tsrm as I don't have one so I just tested continuity of the wires to coils etc and those check out

I'll pinch my mums igniter off her car if I still have issues

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
Roight, so I put in a spare cps and found it was missing still a bit like before but not as badly, got the timing light on it.. 25 deg advanced LOL So judging from the similar idle from the last cps I'd say it was advanced quite some then too, taking it to 10 appears to have smoothed out the idle extremely and now I just have the normal 7m random pop.

Hopefully that's it fixed but I'll update in the next couple of days just for reference for future readers :)