7MGTE misfiring, help!

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Hey guys recently my car started acting up and i checked my spark plugs and wires looked bad and all broke :3d_frown:, so i replaced it and still the car is having the same misfiring, no codes or anything that looks broken any input about this would really help right now, oh and BTW ive been hearing like a grinding bearing noise coming from my Cam position sensor, could that also be it? But I dont want to spent $300 on a new sensor to find out its not the reason, please let me know whatever i should check on, thanks!

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Could that also be the reason why the car is misfiring? I changed out the head gasket about a month ago and shes been holding up fine since then, no water or oil loss, no mixing of the two, the misfire just randomly showed up earlier today, but for the CPS ive been noticing symptoms that its going out (bearing noise, hard to start in mornings, intermittent miss on idle) But i want to get other peoples input before i do anything else.

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
CPS has already been rewired, the spark plug wires get all distribution among them, I did notice when i remove the injector #4 it doesnt really do much difference to the rough idle when the others removed, make the car run worse. I have pinpointed it to cylinder 4 but what could they be? Ignition, fuel delivery?

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
I hope its as simple of a problem as that, i got my injectors inspected and cleaned today, they were good. Replaced the seals, o-rings and pintle caps but im having doubts in the back of my head its another BHG (hopefully not)

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Updates: Checked spark plugs and all of them were still good new looking (as i did just get them a day or two ago) no cracks on the porcelain part of the plug, gaps were all even at 0.030" around there IIRC, just waiting for my CPS to come in the mail and will be reinstalling everything, keeping fingers crossed thats the only problem and not a head gasket again.. If anyone knows some info about what else could be causing this, please do shine some light in with me on this, thank you!

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
I've had that grinding noise once (didn't see the video until now, sorry) on my 7M and it was from the oil pump pulley, which I tightned too much and one spoke was broken and grinding all over my timing belt.

An idle this rough can be caused by the timing belt which skipped one notch or so. Can you check if the timing is spot-on ? (remove the upper front cover to make sure)

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Yeah i can check timing to make sure it didnt skip a tooth, and as for the noise it was the cam position sensor bearing or something inside it, at a certain RPM it would make the horrid noise and put your finger on the cps cover and sure enough you'd feel it scraping.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
since you have already ruled out spark plugs, wires, and injectors
now its either the 3-4 coil pack, cps or internal issues

easy thing for you to do
on the coil pack swap your plug wires 3 and 4 around
start engine and see if misfire has moved to cylinder 3 and cylinder 4 do not misfire

if no change then try wiggling cps wire with engine running. if idle changes or misfire clears up then you have problem in cps wiring

hope this helps

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
check you coils with a spark tester. somes times they might not ack up if not under load but use a good spark tester to rule out the coils i have 2 sets of stock coils go bad on me.

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Yeah, but i just want some input on the Head gasket before i buy it. Compression test showed leak between 3-4 i dont notice any knocks in person, maybe you're hearing the grinding cps and the valve tick?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
modmonster2008;1898092 said:
Yeah, but i just want some input on the Head gasket before i buy it. Compression test showed leak between 3-4 i dont notice any knocks in person, maybe you're hearing the grinding cps and the valve tick?

What were your compression numbers? My guess is if you have a leak between 2 cylinders, you need a head gasket again. Also, if you replaced it once by just putting a head gasket on it, rod knock would not be surprising. Coolant in your oil affects your bearings.