7MGTE lost spark only on cylinder #1

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
I was driving today and my 7m developed an intermittent missfire under boost. Within a couple minutes it suddenly developed a dead cylinder. I stopped to investigate and #1 has zero spark from the coilpack. Number 6 still has spark, so does that mean that the coil pack has to be bad and it's not a wiring issue?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Yes, it is wiring issue, but not the coil pack. It is impossible to have your symptom and be the coil pack. Now you need to change the high tension cord.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
The plug wires are new-ish and I can switch the 1 and 6 wires at the coil pack and then I have no spark on number 6. I can't see what else it could be, since 1 and 6 fire together as a wasted spark system...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
jake8790;1960308 said:
I can switch the 1 and 6 wires at the coil pack and then I have no spark on number 6

Unless you broke the stud, that can not happen.

jake8790;1960308 said:
I can't see what else it could be, since 1 and 6 fire together as a wasted spark system...

You are not seeing obvious physical damage. There is one coil for each pair of cylinders. The only way to do what you claim is if the stud was broke. If the stud was broke, the plug boot would not fit right. You would know it.

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
There is no external damage to the coil packs, and the plug boots fit fine. I borrowed a set from a friend's Supra and it fixed it. Should I try a used set from ebay or order new?

Edit: ordered is300 coils.

Last edited:

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Coils I would assume. But I had the exact same thing happen to my car. I don't know exactly what was causing it.. but I only had one dead cylinder, and it turned out the coil was bad.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I can't really think of a good reason it would do what you have in the video. Toyota implies the two ends complete the circuit. I am the one that is missing something.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I understand what you're saying. If one side was dead and shorted to ground then the whole coil should fire through that side.. correct? Path of least resistance? I am going out on a limb here and thinking there was corrosion where the plug wire hooks up, and enough built up to the point of having a dead cylinder.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA