7mgte knock sound in motor

dj_supra1

Nov 11, 2015
missouri
Help!!!!
I was drifting around in my 87 supra last night and when I had finished it started to lose all power and barely wanted to stay on. we had to tow it home and this morning it started to make a knocking noise in the engine bay and it sounds like something wrong with the cams or pistons or something like that and it keeps getting louder. I unfortunately don't have a whole lot of money right now because I just redid the suspension and exhaust. I rely don't want to take it to a shop to get a new motor when its something simple and I really want to work on it but I am not super savvy on these Toyota inline 6 motors so any help from anyone that has had this problem or knows what might be wrong would be super helpful.

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
Because of low oil level and drifting, you have probably ruined rod bearing. You have to remove oil pan and check the bearing.
You have to stop driving it, or even starting it, or you will also ruin crank and/or rod.

Welcome to the Supra community, it's not a toy and require some money to maintenance it correctly.

As a start, you can check the Toyota Supra Repair Manual: http://tsrm.supra-mk3.info

Good luck ;)

dj_supra1

Nov 11, 2015
missouri
I am starting to take it apart and its definetly the motor and I am wondering if its worth it to get a new motor or try to save this one? I haven't driven it since it started knocking so I am hoping I can save it.

suprachris

Nov 22, 2015
fort wayne
Sounds like a rod. I've wasted a lot of cash rebuilding the 7m.best bet is to take it to a good machine shop and let them build it. I've been two 7mgte engines and three 7m na engines. Trying my luck on a 1j this go around.