7mgte Fuel Management...any suggestions?

boostedma70

Sep 15, 2011
Missoula MT
Hello everyone. Just joined the site not too long ago. My main idea with this thread is to get some input for some of you guys about engine management for my 7m gte. I own an ma70 with a few mods done to it. I have heard some fuel managements are junk and some are awesome (depending on who your talkin to). Just would like to hear some from actual supra people. Thanks

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
What is your power goal? 300HP, 400HP, 500HP?

A lot of people find and intercooler kit, exhaust, 550's, Lexus AFM and a 57 trim upgrade on the CT26 to be a very good place to start.

If you are concerned about controlling the extra fuel, SAFC is an okay, standalone is the best and Maft-Pro is a pretty darn good system.

I know CajunKenny, a user on here, put down some good numbers with his Maft-Pro but keep in mind he was using a JT62 turbo.

Post up more info and we'll help you.

boostedma70

Sep 15, 2011
Missoula MT
Ok ill give ya a run down
I have 550s (not currently in the car), pretty big intercooler kit (either 3core or 4core can't remember) with hardpiping and bov, full 3 inch exhaust no cat straight pipe with divorced downpipe,walbro 255. Lexus AFM, metal headgasket with arp head studs,4 core radiator, 5 wire wide band o2 sensor,mishimoto fans (not in car currently), stage 3 cluth and lightened flywheel. Buying an aeromotive fuel pressure regulator soon. And really if I can get 350 to 400 out of it I would be happy because I have another 7m I'm goin to build fully. Running a stock ct26 for now but looking into a bigger one. Pretty sure its a 61trim.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
You are well on your way to that power goal but you can and should go standalone but a Maft-Pro will help you to take advantage to all of those mods.

DO NOT USE ELECTRIC FANS, YOU WILL NOT GAIN ANY NOTICEABLE POWER.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Sounds like you've got your ducks in a row. A 60-1 CT (which is what I think you meant) will easily hit your power goals. I'd pick up a used SAFC for now if I was you. Easy to install, easy to use, and not a wallet buster by any means. Save the huge price difference between that and a standalone until you get that other motor done.

Post some pics of the car up! I love silver Supras.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Do you have the LEX AFM installed without the 550's?

I'm sure you know that's taking a chance because it causes your motor to go lean. :)

But does sound like you got a pretty nice build.

If your in the market for a good turbo i'd check out some of Albert's stuff there reasonable in price and good quality. He is in the Misc Vendor section of the forum

boostedma70

Sep 15, 2011
Missoula MT
Got a couple pictures up will get more here in a little bit. Not getting the electric fans for power gains just for cooler under hood temps. And all around temps. Thanks for all the feedback. Kinda sucks cuz in montana not any tuner shops around(yet) so I don't see many mk3s that are turboed in town let alone built. Been a pretty much trial and error as we go.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Can use a Maft gen II with a gm ls maf or go Maft pro with map sensor and get rid of the Afm. I'd use either of those or if you can go aem.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
boostedma70;1760400 said:
Got a couple pictures up will get more here in a little bit. Not getting the electric fans for power gains just for cooler under hood temps. And all around temps. Thanks for all the feedback. Kinda sucks cuz in montana not any tuner shops around(yet) so I don't see many mk3s that are turboed in town let alone built. Been a pretty much trial and error as we go.

You will run into HOTTER temperatures with the electric fans. A good fan clutch and shroud with the 7M-GTE blade does an excellent job in cooling.

boostedma70

Sep 15, 2011
Missoula MT
Really? Well I will need to get a new clutch fan then and shroud...haha. I will check out the maft pro and the safc...unfortunatley safc's are what I have heard the worst about. Could be misinformed people/idiots. Don't know. I will check em out thanks again for the feedback guys.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Safc is not the best. Just the cheapest. It screws with the timing when adding or subtracting fuel. Maft pro can add fuel or timing and is the closest thing to a standalone.

On the fan. With the 1hp gain you get from taking it off the drive system you will lose in alternator loading. SO really there is no gain. And most e fans wont cut it.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I would first contact CajunKenny and ask if he is selling his. I know he picked up an AEM.

Just do a Google search. Check a lot of places to find a good price.

icey756

Oct 12, 2011
Wisconsin
I just installed an aluminum radiator with twin 12" electric fans and my system is cooling fine. I didnt expect to gain any power doing that but having a radiator that transfers heat better gives me peace of mind. Just saying electrics fans arent that bad. And gets rid of that damn motorboat propeller lol