7MGTE from Malta - build up thread

J_Z

Apr 1, 2009
Midway to Nowhere
Hi guys,

I'm Joe from Malta, I will post in this thread the build-up progress of my 7MGTE.

I am open for suggestions or tips.

Basically the story goes....My current engine gave up on me very recently, ruining all six pistons and two pairs of rod bearings. This particular engine was put together in a moment when I wasn't really sure if I was going to keep doing this project or switch to an RB26 Skyline. So we put it together and hoped for the better :) Luckily it lasted two and a half years.

Now I will do my best to put together a good street and strip engine which can handle high speed tests as well.

Will start posting photos very soon.

J_Z

Apr 1, 2009
Midway to Nowhere
IJ.;1291736 said:
I'd :love: the Hood if it didn't have the 2 lumps ;)

What's the chrome hardpipe going to the back of the timing cover?

Couldn't do without the left side lump due to the intake. And when I first had the hood done with one lump I didn't really like it so i went for another lump on the right hand side.

That chrome pipe is part of the exhaust header, unfortunately this design is not something really spectacular, but it was the only thing I could put my hands on like four or five years ago. It is a custom item made in the UK, which was the only one I clould find which came with a guarantee that it would not crack.

J_Z

Apr 1, 2009
Midway to Nowhere
Something was going wrong with the head gasket too:

DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

The chambers are a bit messed up too :( :

DSCF0033.jpg

The studded block:

DSCF0034.jpg

Is this gasket re-usable????

DSCF0026.jpg

J_Z

Apr 1, 2009
Midway to Nowhere
IJ.;1291745 said:
Got a pic of the header off the car Joe?
(having the Turbo discharge pipe between the runners confused me)

Engine looks really sad :(

here it is:

DSCF0429x.jpg

believe me Ian, I am way much sadder than the engine now!!!

J_Z

Apr 1, 2009
Midway to Nowhere
IJ.;1291753 said:
I wouldn't chance that Gasket.

that's another bad news!!! :(

Since last time we talked, I made a huge change of plans, to the extent of getting a smaller turbo and keeping the stock head.

However I am still going for the Pauters and the custom coated Ross.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Well that is truely unique Joe!

How long did the engine run before it grenaded?

It's hard to tell which came first with the chamber, I'd guess it's Oily from the Torched piston but those bearings look like they've done 300,000 Km's :aigo:

Heading out to the shed now I'll check in at lunchtime.

J_Z

Apr 1, 2009
Midway to Nowhere
IJ.;1291759 said:
Well that is truely unique Joe!

How long did the engine run before it grenaded?

It's hard to tell which came first with the chamber, I'd guess it's Oily from the Torched piston but those bearings look like they've done 300,000 Km's :aigo:

Heading out to the shed now I'll check in at lunchtime.

The engine has almost 2500 miles on it. It was running fine at 13psi until one sudden boost spike at 17psi. When it started to slightly breath blueish smoke, still the smoke didn't suggest this extent of damage!!! Believe it or not, there was almost no blue smoke from the exhaust!! Just a slight hint.

The bearings are from rods 4 and 6, those I guess are my fault for not upgrading the oiling system.

I'm off to sleep since its 2 in the morning here. :)

J_Z

Apr 1, 2009
Midway to Nowhere
Finally, after more than a year I'm back on my supra project.

Some photos attached.

Attachments

• 713px..JPG
    713px..JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 709px..JPG
    709px..JPG
    234.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 717px..JPG
    717px..JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 712px..JPG
    712px..JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 710px..JPG
    710px..JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 11

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Wow was the head re-welded and machined? Looks clean, but the combustion chambers dont look stock and some of them look different than others, as well as some coolant passages misshaped.

J_Z

Apr 1, 2009
Midway to Nowhere
CyFi6;1571937 said:
Wow was the head re-welded and machined? Looks clean, but the combustion chambers dont look stock and some of them look different than others, as well as some coolant passages misshaped.

Yes, in fact head was re-welded and machined, could not find a spare head.

The chambers are smoothed, mildly re-shaped and cc'd. They are exactly the same shape as a deck template was used.

Coolant passages are far from their original shape but that's a minor issue which does not really effect flow as such, so it is overlookable. :icon_bigg