7mgte died and won't start....then it does start???

jkendall86

Apr 10, 2005
Salem, Oregon
I have a fresh build on a 7mgte...ran great for 75 miles...then while driving in town, I pressed on the clutch and it died...I immediately let off the clutch and it started up again....but when I pressed on the clutch again, it died and I could not start it...I coasted to a parking lot and tried to start it. It sounded like it had a dead battery and did start, but bogged down right away and died and then I could not start it even though it was cranking fine. I let it set for 7 hours, came back and it cranked but would not start....I took some codes and found 12 and 21....12 is CPS so I wiggled the wires and it started, but died again when I pressed on the gas. I did get it started again, but it bogged down and died. I tried again and it cranked like a dead battery and would not start.

I let it set for another few hours and it towed home. Took the codes again and they were the same, 12 and 21.....I wiggled the wires a bit, and pressed the CPS clip tight again. It cranked like it had a dead battery again. I checked and the battery was over 12 volts, nearly new battery. I tried again to start and it started without a problem. I backed it out of the shop, then back in....no problem. I revvv'd it up and it was fine, it idled at about 650 until I turned it off after over 5 minutes....started it again without problem....

Read many different postings that say to change the CPS, but I moved the wires all over the place while it was running and it did not have any effect at all. Checked the codes and they still show 12 and 21....Does anyone have any ideas?

jkendall86

Apr 10, 2005
Salem, Oregon
The dying was caused because the dashpot was out of adjustment.....which caused fuel to remain and flood the engine. The code 21 was unspent fuel to set off the O2 sensor....Ran it just now and ran fine, and no codes....only a short drive, but worked....longer drive tomorrow.....

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I've recently had trouble starting. I have a code 12 and 34. Cps and afm. I have a cps rebuild kit ready to go but I may just buy a new one from Yota. :/

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

MK3_CT

Apr 4, 2013
Lacey, WA
You mentioned not it not cranking but the battery was at 12v. Try moving the terminals around, if they move replace them. Had this issue, the positive moved a little bit and my car would die, and have still have power but as soon as you cranked it it wouldn't do anything. Sounds dumb, but dumb shit happens.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
jkendall86;1947044 said:
The dying was caused because the dashpot was out of adjustment.....which caused fuel to remain and flood the engine. The code 21 was unspent fuel to set off the O2 sensor....Ran it just now and ran fine, and no codes....only a short drive, but worked....longer drive tomorrow.....

What dashpot? There is no dashpot that is going to result in flooding. Fuel is controlled only by the ECU and the CSI which is driven by the thermo time switch and starter voltage. Neither of these involve a dashpot!

jkendall86

Apr 10, 2005
Salem, Oregon
as far as I know, when you release the throttle, the dashpot allows the throttle to slowly idle the car down without shutting it down instantly. It is a little baffle that slowly allows the throttle to even out. Mine would allow the throttle to completely bottom out instantly when I let off the throttle. My son drives a 240 with a 1j, he put me on to that because he removed his so he could better control the throttle while drifting. Ive driven the car several more times after adjusting the dashpot position and it slowly drops the idle to a spot where it idles at 650 without a problem....no more codes and no more dying...

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
How about this conclusion, your car failed to start because the ECU was not receiving timing signals from the CPS, hence setting a code 12. Or does the dashpot cause code 12 too! By the way, even with a warm start, the O2 sensor won't cross count for a few seconds, and cold it can take a minute. Does that set code 21?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
jkendall86;1946841 said:
so replace the CPS?

Have you done any of the tests in the repair manual?

jkendall86;1946841 said:
You think the wiring is bad in it and it makes contact some times and not others?

I have no idea if the wiring is bad or you have a bad connection. I am over here, you are over there.