7MGTE CPS timing

WrldwarTy

Apr 5, 2023
Hello so I have a project MA70 fully built 7mgte long block with Brian crower internals,metal titanium head gaskets, arp head bolts, and as shown a big single, 1000cc injectors, driftworks dual walbro 255 pumpsC128DE78-1551-436D-B4DC-23717F98CC3A.jpeg
So I previously just had to take out the thermostat housing and I had to take off the CPS component before doing so, now my engine has the timing advanced 20 degrees and I want to get this right I’ve seen the notches on the cps gear and I need help on knowing how to put in the cps with the correct timing/notches
I have a few other issues that i will most likely ask for advice down the road but I’m not at those problems yet, anything would help I’m young and im getting around to know this engine

Reactions: trofimovich

trofimovich

Jun 29, 2012
Russia
Can you put the crankshaft sensor on the crankshaft pulley, and leave the camshaft position in the cps?
What ecu do you have?

Bru

Feb 28, 2013
Tampa Bay Area
Here is the procedure from the online manual. Click here to go there. You're going to need a timing light and a small jumper wire for the diagnostic block to set basic timing. When the jumper wire is inserted correctly, the engine trouble light blinks rapidly. This is also a way to read codes. One tip I can give you for inserting the cam position sensor is that after you've followed the procedure rotating crankshaft and aligning The timing mark and also the notches on the CPS is to insert it aiming to have the retaining bolt in the middle of the slot on the housing so you have the possibility of rotating it either direction when fine-tuning the timing. Recheck timing after the retaining bolt is tightened down. If you don't have a timing light, you can get a loaner from AutoZone. Just watch yourself when doing this that you don't get caught up in the fan belts. The engine engine should be warmed up to normal idle before attaching the timing light. The number one cylinder is at the front of the engine for the timing light pickup. The power clips attach to the battery positive and negative.

Last edited: