7MGTE Block ID??

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Can anyone tell me (from the photos) if this is a '92 JDM 7MGTE block? I am building a second 7M to have as a standby (because... well... because its a 7M). So far, a lot of what the engine is supposed to have doesn't seem right.

Like the heli coiled exhaust manifold studs... they don't look heli coiled to me.. and the ARP head studs are definitely non-existant... there are OEM head bolts instead.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_1383.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1388.jpg

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
JDM, yes. 92? I don't think so... Looks more like a pre 89 light block to me (cant really see if the extra ribs on the side are there).. Also, post 89 (i believe, may be 90+) had a metal cap on the unused coolant line on the back of the block, whereas this one has a rubber cap.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Second pic looks like there is only ribs between the cylinders. All late blocks had ribs between the cylinders and on each cylinder going vertical on the exhaust side.

Also jdm and usdm blocks are all the same blocks. And there is no block identification based off the numbers unfortunately. Chevy does that quite nicely tho. Lol.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I thought that this was a pre 90 block, although it was billed as a 92 JDM.

Yeah, I tried to find the info from the serial.. but I think that is just a "series" number.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
looks like a pre 89 block. can drop the pan and check the webs on the mains too. they will tell you.

Late model 7m engines will have the thicker webs on the mains, and they are 11 rib blocks, so 11 ribs on the side. here are two comparisons of each to spot the easy differences.

Late 7m mains

VS early 7m mains

Late 7m 11 rib

vs early 7m

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ahh, thanks for those photos. I was looking for 11 ribs as well, but I think they are under the intake manifold, so I couldn't see them. The more I see of this motor, the more I see that doesn't line up to what the PO was told it was and what was done to it.

I'm thinking that I will find a whole mess of "not done right" when the head is pulled.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Grandavi;2050473 said:
ahh, thanks for those photos. I was looking for 11 ribs as well, but I think they are under the intake manifold, so I couldn't see them. The more I see of this motor, the more I see that doesn't line up to what the PO was told it was and what was done to it.

I'm thinking that I will find a whole mess of "not done right" when the head is pulled.

Ive experienced that. Best to hold off if it doesn't feel right. Theres plenty more 7m's out there.

I am not sure if you are looking for the 11 rib block for strength, or just trying to figure out what this exact one was, but IMO you don't really need an 11rib unless you are over 1kwhp. nice for peace of mind over 800whp.