7MGTE advice... No boost and huge backfires!

Push

Cressida
Aug 28, 2005
Naperville, IL
Car has been sitting for about 3 years... Got it running, drove it to my buddys shop on 3 year old fuel... Had about a half tank in it. Car sat for 3 years because of a bad turbo :3d_frown:... Yea I know I was lazy, I should of just fixed it sooner. Anyways... New 60-1 Ct26 turbo, new NGK spark plugs, new NGK spark plug wires, fresh oil change with Toyota oil filter, NEW Toyota o2 sensor, brand new toyota turbo gaskets, blah blah blah... Anyways car starts up and idles fine! Car revs to 3000 rpm then just hits boost cut or fuel cut.... When you let off a huge backfire explodes thru the air... I'm thinking its my AFM black box, or just bad 3 year old fuel... Should I just drive it and stay off boost? I'm going to check for codes tomrrow since it did throw a check engine light...

Cliffs: Got car running after 3 years...
Changed oil, turbo, o2 sensor, spark plugs, etc...
Now car backfires when past 3000 rpm and does not boost...
What I think it is: Bad 3 year old fuel?? Or bad AFM??

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
I'd say try gas first. 3 year old gas may run an engine, but it will most certainly not provide power with boost. I would drain the gas out of the tank and refill with new. I can't believe that you would post about this before trying fresh gas.

Crazy_Tycoon

Jan 29, 2009
Abbotsford BC
I'm having similar issues (with new gas 94 octane) but with no codes, well the check engine light doesn't work....I'm interested to see what you come up with

Last edited:

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
Also check for boost leaks. If you have one, the the turbo will overspool and the engine would run really rich under boost. That would cause gas to be expelled into the exhaust. Boom!

Still change the gas.:3d_frown:

Supra90gr

Feb 12, 2009
Connecticut
Put some octane booster in the tank. Go for a long drive without boosting the hell out of it and then when the gas gauge is 1/4 full go fill up with 93. Had the same symptoms with my old talon. Sat for 4 years too.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Octane booster isn't likely to do a whole hell of a lot. The run-of-the-mill off the shelf crap in usually just that... crap.

The first step even before posting here is to check codes. Always.