7mge-t, Im sick of blowing up turboes!

supra87mge-t

Dec 3, 2008
St. George, Utah
I not sure if im posting this in the right spot but i have a 7mge motor that i turboed but i keep going through turboes like nothing. I think i have a problem with my oil setup. Every time i put a turbo on it works awesome for about 5 minutes and then the turbo grinds and hits the housing. So i was wondering how others with ge-t setups have ran their oil setup. Any ideas or links to info would be appreciated. My oil inlet to the turbo comes from a splitter i put into the pressure sending unit and it pumps a good amount of oil to the turbo so i know the turbo is getting plenty of oil but i think my problem is the drain on the turbo. My drain runs to an adapter put into the dipstick tube so im thinkn its too small of an outlet for the dump but im not too sure.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Drain into the dipstick tube? Yes that is very bad idea and much too small.
You need a dedicated drain into the block.

slowpra na-t

Permanently Banned
Oct 16, 2008
murrieta ca
it sounds like your not getting enough oil to the turbo, check for leaks on the pressure side....i had a bung welded into my oil pan for the return, the dipstick tube is way to small i would think the return should be pretty big. maybe it cant flow enough oil you should get a bigger return.

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
Well if your crankcase isn't venting properly (PCV) it might not be returning any oil at all, I know alot of 7MGE's have a problem with blow by/crank case ventilation and like to blow air out of the dip stick tube because it has no where else to vent, your problem might be air rushing up your drain and pushing the oil out of the turbo if thats the case.

Either way it sounds like a really sketchy setup, id definetly re-think it before putting another turbo on it.

thinhman

Feb 7, 2009
Garden Grove
I don't mean to thread jack but my 7m-ge is doing this right now; blowing air out of the dipstick hole. How can I fix this problem?

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
thinhman;1262118 said:
I don't mean to thread jack but my 7m-ge is doing this right now; blowing air out of the dipstick hole. How can I fix this problem?

search. It could be anything from a clogged/pinched PCV line to bad piston rings.

supra87mge-t

Dec 3, 2008
St. George, Utah
thanks guys ill have to check that out but like i said the oil feed line is pumping tons of oil to the turbo but i suppose if air was coming through the dump it would push the oil back out of the turbo. Is there any way to test that theory?

slowpra na-t

Permanently Banned
Oct 16, 2008
murrieta ca
supra87mge-t;1262318 said:
thanks guys ill have to check that out but like i said the oil feed line is pumping tons of oil to the turbo but i suppose if air was coming through the dump it would push the oil back out of the turbo. Is there any way to test that theory?

do a compression test if its low you have blow-by the lower it is, the worst the blow-by would be.

make sure you lines are not kinked when the turbo is installed, i had this problem, everything looked fine untill i bolted the turbo up then i had a kink in the rubber hoses, mine was on the return side. but it could happen to the pressure.... are you using a stainless steel lines?

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
I would personally go to a GTE oil pan for return, Atleast your going right back into the pan versus trying to go down a small tube, how the GTE are from factory. Ever thought about a spin on filter adaptor for your oil inlet? others can chime in on this also. Good Luck

viper92086

Jan 12, 2006
NJ
i have a ge-t and i bought the rabidchimp kit and had a bung welded near the top of the oil pan. i get oil from a T fitting from the oil pressure sensor. i've been running it like this for years without problems.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
I think the pcv is one of the most over looked areas when upgrading. i had to open my valve cover ports up to a larger thread to keep the dipstick and oil in. Mind you compression is 155-160 across the board as well. Yes a tight sealing motor would solve the issue, how ever i dont think i could afford a rebuild every time i started to get blow by from cylinder wear ;). IMHO it should be on the TO DO list guys! Nothing worse then bleeding oil from all 5 front/rear seals!

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
viper92086;1263588 said:
i have a ge-t and i bought the rabidchimp kit and had a bung welded near the top of the oil pan. i get oil from a T fitting from the oil pressure sensor. i've been running it like this for years without problems.

I can second this.

87nasupra;1263551 said:
I would personally go to a GTE oil pan for return, Atleast your going right back into the pan versus trying to go down a small tube, how the GTE are from factory. Ever thought about a spin on filter adaptor for your oil inlet? others can chime in on this also. Good Luck

The GE and GTE pans are the same. The GTE BLOCK has the oil return for the turbo, thats why the na-ters need the bung welded in the pan.