7mge swap to 7mgte

Pfeifferton87

Jan 26, 2013
Mesa, AZ
hey guys im new to forums and this is my first post but i have a pretty simple question...
i have a 1987 base model MKIII 5 speed w58 trans and my engine is blown i was wantin to swap in a new 7mgte but i dont have the money to get the r154 with the new engine. i know i can use my stock transmission but ive read on different forums that you just need to replace the flywheel and clutch kit, others that it should bolt right up with out changing anything. i was wonderin if anyone has done this swap and what is all involved???? im not going for monster power right now just need to get it back up and running..
any help is greatly appreciated.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
If you're not changing the transmission you won't have to change the clutch or flywheel. You old clutch might not last very long with the new power but it should hold.
If you we're to swap transmissions you would have to switch the clutch but I'm not sure about the flywheel.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Flywheels are different. My clutch died within a month. You could also swap a 2JZGE and go turbo when you can afford it.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
2JZ-GE is easier if you already have a 7M-GTE.

You need the flywheel, clutch and stuff from the 7M-GE. You already have it, so... No problem. It means that you can also use a 7M-GTE that used to be auto, though the 5 speed ECU would be better.

Pfeifferton87

Jan 26, 2013
Mesa, AZ
im keeping my stock w58 trans would love to get the r154 but cant afford it right now. the engine is coming with a its wiring harness and ECU i just dont have an extra money if i were to have to switch out the clutch and flywheel.
so i should be alright to just drop in the 7mgte and bolt it right up???

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Is the new engine pre89? If you can wait, save up some more money. Replace HG, water pump, crank seals,and all hoses. Maybe even a used upgraded pressure plate. Trust me, the clutch will die. Then youll have even more downtime.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
The clutch will last as long as your right foot lets it. What you have to remember is that there is a penalty every time you drop the gas pedal in clutch life.

If you keep the 7M-GTE stock, at stock boost and refrain from launching it, the stock 7M-GE clutch will do okay with that for a while. Actually since the off-boost power is lower, it should deal with "normal" driving as well as it did before.

Of course, I'm not expecting you to drive it like that. Few people could, and fewer would.

Start looking for your R154 solution as soon as you have tires on pavement, or at the very least start looking for a high torque capacity clutch. buy the clutch which will do for the power you are GOING to have with your 7M, you'll save money.

Pfeifferton87

Jan 26, 2013
Mesa, AZ
well this is the problem im having with engine right now.

im loosing coolant and im not sure where, thought it was a bad hose replaced that but that did no good.. my brother thats a mechanic did a pressure test on my radiator had it at 16 psi and let it sit for about 10 min nothing changed pressure never dropped. coolant does have a hint of fuel when you take off the radiator cap.

there is something wrong with cylinder 6 i have a really bad miss fire only at idle, once i have some strain on the engine seems to drive fine other than the overheating. inside cylinder 6 once i pulled that plug out and looked inside was filled with oil and what felt almost like sand, prob metal shavings:(..

not sure if its the head gasket or a bad piston ring thats why i was looking into the newer engine plus this engine has about 160k on it so not sure how much longer its going to last even if i do fix it..

what do you think?? thanks again guys

not sure what year the new engine is i havent bought it yet

Sep 1, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Pfeifferton87;1910163 said:
well this is the problem im having with engine right now.

im loosing coolant and im not sure where, thought it was a bad hose replaced that but that did no good.. my brother thats a mechanic did a pressure test on my radiator had it at 16 psi and let it sit for about 10 min nothing changed pressure never dropped. coolant does have a hint of fuel when you take off the radiator cap.

there is something wrong with cylinder 6 i have a really bad miss fire only at idle, once i have some strain on the engine seems to drive fine other than the overheating. inside cylinder 6 once i pulled that plug out and looked inside was filled with oil and what felt almost like sand, prob metal shavings:(..

not sure if its the head gasket or a bad piston ring thats why i was looking into the newer engine plus this engine has about 160k on it so not sure how much longer its going to last even if i do fix it..

what do you think?? thanks again guys

not sure what year the new engine is i havent bought it yet

this problem is the "GE" motor right?^^^^