7MGE sputters and bogs <2500rpm. checked stuff! Edit: SOLVED!!!

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
Spent a fairly large amount of time searching and troubleshooting, this is where i'm at:nono:

bought the car with BHG, head was shaved, stone headgasket w/ARP studs, new gaskets most everywhere, new plugs (NGK v-power copper), new wires (NGK), thermostat, and more stuff.

as it is, the car runs and is drivable, but has had a weird idle at ~800-900rpm,a nd sputters constantly up until ~2500rpm or so. the car bogs and bucks when driving <2500rpm or so, then smooths out and couldn't be happier. runs a bit rich and the engine seems to "shake" at idle in time with the sputter/misfire. All vac lines are tight and I cleaned the EGR+replaced its gaskets when i thought it was stuck open.
new toyota TPS, calibrated enough to shut the code 51 off (with a digital meter), timed at ~10*btdc. No visible smoke out the back.

attached are a couple pictures of the timing belt cams with the crank pulley at TDC, they appear to be in the right places with 17teeth between the cam marks, but having never done a TB before on a 7M i figured it best to ask for confirmation.

help? please? :1zhelp:

car's getting its 2nd coolant flush and oil change since the hg was replaced ~500miles ago.

Edit 3/22: Video on pg 5
Edit 3/25: SOLVED on pg 6

Attachments

• 2011-03-05 21.09.40_Ontario_California_US.jpg
    2011-03-05 21.09.40_Ontario_California_US.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 2011-03-05 21.09.19_Ontario_California_US.jpg
    2011-03-05 21.09.19_Ontario_California_US.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 2011-03-05 21.08.48_Ontario_California_US.jpg
    2011-03-05 21.08.48_Ontario_California_US.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 2011-03-05 21.10.00_Ontario_California_US.jpg
    2011-03-05 21.10.00_Ontario_California_US.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
my 5mge did this and turned out it was the AFM. this was after replacing the dist, tb, ecu, intake gaskets and about 1500 later.... so try a new(to you) afm

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
I went and tested the AFM on the car and E2/VC and E2/VS were both way way out of spec, but the car didnt have a CEL for the AFM?
tested as per: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Media/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/FI/FI_094.gif

so should I still go pick up an AFM that tests right and hope it works (i'm not one for throwing parts at a car)? IE-Is the ECU retarded in diagnosing a bad (but still present+connected) AFM?? (codes 24, 31, or 32??)

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
update: fresh oil+coolant today, also replaced the coolant temp sensor and reset the timing (it was a couple degrees too high, oops).

problem persists :(

would a video help guys?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
PureDrifter;1683183 said:
update: fresh oil+coolant today, also replaced the coolant temp sensor and reset the timing (it was a couple degrees too high, oops).

problem persists :(

would a video help guys?
Not nearly as much as an emission trace of other 4 gas analyzer.

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
Nick M;1683189 said:
Not nearly as much as an emission trace of other 4 gas analyzer.
best i can do for you in that respect is a failed CA smog test (REALLY REALLY high HC/CO) from a month and a half back when it was running on 5cyl, it got new wires afterward since they were way out of spec.

jetjock;1683204 said:
You might want to test the afm correctly, especially if you found it to be "bad" using the crappy method suggested in the book. That'd at least rule it out...
what's the "correct" test for the vane-type AFM? Is it the "off vehicle" test as described in the TSRM here:http://www.cygnusx1.net/Media/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/FI/FI_095.gif? or is it something else? as an example, my E2-VS and E2-VC readings (from the "on vehicle" test) were in the xxx,000 ranges instead of the xxx ranges :3d_frown: (yet still no code?! wtf?!)

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
You replace Distributor cap & rotor? On my 90 Celica GT the distributor was leaking oil so the cap would be filled with oil & it sputtered a lot, had to clean every now & then. AFM...... would this explain why my car stalls randomly after i put it on neutral... like 3 seconds after i put it on neutral the check engine comes on & off & rpms gauge drops & goes up. Mine is a GTE by the way....

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
Gota7MGTE;1683211 said:
You replace Distributor cap & rotor? On my 90 Celica GT the distributor was leaking oil so the cap would be filled with oil & it sputtered a lot, had to clean every now & then. AFM...... would this explain why my car stalls randomly after i put it on neutral... like 3 seconds after i put it on neutral the check engine comes on & off & rpms gauge drops & goes up. Mine is a GTE by the way....

new dist. cap and rotor. i'll pull them off to check if the o-ring's leaking.

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
just had a thought, i've got an ever-present code 43 (sta signal) from the previous owner's semi-jury rigged ignition setup, so i currently have my own starter relay wiring in place without the original (blue striped) wire going to the brown terminal on the starter. I do have plans to splice the signal into my new wire to shut the code up but hadn't gotten around to it as it seemed from my reading to be unrelated.

but.....could this possibly cause the CSI to stay on after i've started the car?

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
PureDrifter;1683022 said:
I went and tested the AFM on the car and E2/VC and E2/VS were both way way out of spec, but the car didnt have a CEL for the AFM?
tested as per: http://www.cygnusx1.net/Media/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/FI/FI_094.gif

so should I still go pick up an AFM that tests right and hope it works (i'm not one for throwing parts at a car)? IE-Is the ECU retarded in diagnosing a bad (but still present+connected) AFM?? (codes 24, 31, or 32??)

jetjock;1683204 said:
You might want to test the afm correctly, especially if you found it to be "bad" using the crappy method suggested in the book. That'd at least rule it out...

ok no clue what happened but i went and tested my AFM this morning and again just now and got readings that were perfectly within spec?!?! wtf.....same problem persists.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Have you verified all your timing marks are lined up, # 1 piston at TDC, rotor pointing at # 1 plug wire? Also when you timed it with a timing light, did you jump Te1 and E1 in the diagnostic box?

Seems like it may be a timing problem.

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
AJ'S 88NA;1683532 said:
Have you verified all your timing marks are lined up, # 1 piston at TDC, rotor pointing at # 1 plug wire? Also when you timed it with a timing light, did you jump Te1 and E1 in the diagnostic box?

Seems like it may be a timing problem.
timing was set using TSRM procedure, i'll try to get some time away during this week to double check TDC and rotor status. though, if there was a problem with rotor position, would the car run as well as it does over 2.5k rpm?

thanks for the help so far guys :)

PureDrifter

VIP Cruisin'...
Aug 11, 2009
CA
www.clublexus.com
i've learned my lesson in the past from using cheap no brand electronics components for important circuits, have some 3M 953 10-12gauge self-stripping taps on order, so i can unplug the sta wire (from the engine harness) from my own starter wiring to make future removal less of a pain. Didn't want to use a quick-tap or solder as i want the ability to disconnect the harness.

it's an acceptable go-between from an inline nonremovable splice and a proper aircraft grade plug that's just overkill at this point :p