7mge rebuild general questions (machine shop related)

northdakotakid

Feb 17, 2009
North Dakota
I got my 7m down to bare block and now it's figuring out what to do next. I have already decided on what machine shop I am going to use, some of you might know Dave Henry and his 8 second mkiv supra from Fargo. He uses Quality Engine for his engines, so I am using the same place. No brainer.

Now, since my engine is all torn down, what should I bring to the machine shop? Block, timing cover, head, crank, pistons and rods and all bearings that I know for sure of, but is there anything else I should bring that I am forgetting?

When I drop the engine off, if I need pistons and a bore, should I have them buy them, or order from deiftmotion?Also same for bearings as well. Or should I order my own? (Cheaper?) Bear with me people this is my first time sending an engine to a machine shop and I want this right.

My goals are a stock non turbo rebuild.

Also, what should I make sure to tell the machinist? Any special things to be aware of? I would like to compile a list and have everything visually there to take note of. Easier that way.

I plan on having him machine everything and I will reassemble back in my garage. He will do the head.

Thanks in advance for your comments and concerns guys.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
What about the idler pulley for the timing belt? I know if you have the idler pulley torqued down it tries to pull on number 1 cylinder wall.

Make sure the back timing cover is mounted to the block and have them machined at the same time. Bore the block with the idler pulley torqued down as well, also using a torque plate.