7MGE machining?

toyota kid

Oct 8, 2011
Los Angeles
7MGE replacing engine with JDM low milege one
Do you guys thing the surface of this engine is smooth enough to throw on a MHG or should i machine it??
What could happen if i dont machine head and block and simply replace stock gasket with a metal one?

sharpsupra

Aug 14, 2011
georgia
just think how many "please use the search button" suggestions could have been saved if toyota torqued them dammed head bolts:biglaugh:
however....plenty of info here on that subj...just do a lil searchin.....that subj has been beat to death i fear. IMO tho yu dont need a MHG. a stock gasket torqued properly should be just fine. do some searching tho . dont just take my advice lol....lotta info here ON head gasket repair.

toyota kid

Oct 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Just a Stock NA without the worries of a BHG with a MHG installed. Nothing big just a replacement engine for a daily driver and maybe an intake in the future thats all

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
If there is no harm in my 2 cents going into this pot, I would like to throw it in. Look at it this way. Your going to drop an engine into your daily driver that you know nothing about. By that I mean you dont know how the last person treated the car that the motor was in or before them and so on. Also you dont even know if the mileage on the car is true because jdm cars are kmh and our are mph and for all you know somebody along the line has possibly rolled the speedo back. I have an 86 supra that was imported in from Japan and I am the 4th owner of this car. I have met the 2nd and 3rd owner but not the first one and my guage cluster has been swapped, so i dont even know if my mileage is right. So me personally I would at least get it checked before throwing it back together to make sure that it is all good. A little long winded but I have seen many BHG on these motors mainly due to idiot error. Think about it.

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
If you dont machine the surfaces the MHG will not seal right, then stuff goes where its not supposed to next thing you know you're looking for another replacement.
Stock HG is a lot more forgiving with an unperfect surface and can withstand about 400hp+ if installed right.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
toyota kid;1773091 said:
7MGE replacing engine with JDM low milege one
Do you guys thing the surface of this engine is smooth enough to throw on a MHG or should i machine it??
What could happen if i dont machine head and block and simply replace stock gasket with a metal one?
Are you sure of the bearings, rings and vavles?

Reason you are not rebuilding the original motor?

JDM motors should be tore down and checked, some have had good luck with them, more have had bad luck I believe...I tried 3 before I rebuilt my original.

87GWSupra

Rally Supra
Jan 24, 2010
Carlton, Oregon
I got a JDM 7M and a month later rod knock. So I tore it down to freshin it up (surface block, hone, rings, bearings) turned out some little guy in japan had already done the HG but used a angle grinder with sanding pad (or something to that effect) took off about 0.006 of metal off block in a uneven manner. I now have ARP studs and HKS MLS gasket.

SRZMK3

my JDM 7m was a successful one, besides me having to replace the head gasket and all of the block plugs and the metal heater hose that wraps around the block because EVERYTHING RUSTED from some jackass putting tap water in the engine and then storing it for 15+ years. it did have low mileage which was obvious from the smooth surfaces of the cams and the piston heads and the crank, and the block is amazingly level and smooth. but when you receive the engine make sure you tear apart and inspect the whole engine because you will be surprised how many things are in good condition to how many things need to be replaced on these engines. ive had my JDM engine for 2 years and it is still an amazing engine!!

so yeah with a metal head gasket even if the block looks smooth i would still take it to the machinist and get it checked and planed aswell as the head because those head gaskets dont form to uneven surfaces very well since they are so stiff, and besides with an NA, id just go with a felpro shucks gasket make sure its the one with the metal sleeves around the combustion and water jacket seals the straight paper one is just plain garbage get this spray in the adhesives section its in a can and its copper based silicone sealant spray and coat the head gasket with it, then use arp bolts and tighten the head to 80 ft lbs and for a daily that engine will be pretty much near bulletproof.

just use caution with those jdm engines.. youll regret trusting something you dont know..

Last edited: