7MGE Intake Ideas

suprunner

Jun 22, 2011
south dakota
I'm doing a 7MGE swap into my 1986 4Runner. I'm coming to the end of my nightmare, but I still have one hang-up. I'm not putting the MAFS in the stock position. I am routing it straight off of my throttle body on to my passenger-side fender wall. . My only problem is connecting the two. Since the entire length is no more than 6", the stock tubing will not work. I am putting on a filter box from the 4Runner. We've cut out portions on the bottom part of the can to allow more flow. I'm not sure what diameter pipe that I can get away with. . . The MAFS is 3", and the Throttle body is 2.75". . . I've thought of using PVC pipe, but I'm running into dimension problems. The inside diameter might be 3", but the outer will be 3.25" .. If I try to use a 3" OD, the inner diameter seems to always be 2.5". . What's the smallest inner diameter that I should be using to allow for adequate flow? Since my project budget has been blown out of proportion, I'm trying to not buy a K&N kit right now. They're $180... Any ideas?

Thanks,

Greg

MPR

John 3:16
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Use pieces of exhaust pipe. That way you can use proper diameter piping and not worry about the thickness of the material the pipe is made from.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Can just use a silicone coupler and a couple t bolt clamps. They make them in all different sizes shapes and angles.

suprunner

Jun 22, 2011
south dakota
Thanks for the help Everyone! I ended up using a piece of 2.5" ID exhaust pipe and some couplers. Looks very clean. Again, Thank you!